Description of Program
Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy is a ten-week residential fellowship program sponsored by the University of Michigan Medical School (UMMS) Office for Health Equity & Inclusion (OHEI) for undergraduate students attending any accredited college or university. In alignment with the student’s research and career interest, the academy will provide a research or clinical fellowship experience with a faculty mentor who will be invested in the development of the student. Approximately 20 fellows participate in the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy.
As part of the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy (MHSURA), the Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) is seeking a Facilitator Coordinator directly responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of workshops designed to contribute to the professional development of the MHSURA participants. The Facilitator Coordinator will oversee the implementation of all workshops, and be responsible for facilitating designated workshop sessions. The Facilitator Coordinator will work closely with and receive direction from the MHSURA Program Manager.
- Must be available for the Academy session:
- Academy dates are Sunday, May 28, 2017 to Saturday, August 5, 2017
- Highly developed organizational, administrative, and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Experience in planning and facilitating workshops about social justice concepts such as social identity, power, privilege, and oppression.
- Must be detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and work in busy learning environments.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, engineering, math, science, counseling, psychology, sociology, social work, business, or other related fields.
- Master degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Current or admitted medical student desired.
- Experience working with students from underrepresented populations in medicine.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design the content for workshops in collaboration with MHSURA Program Manager.
- Facilitate professional development and social justice workshops with MHSURA Program Manager.
- Oversee and facilitate weekly discussion group sessions.
Maintain logistics of workshops
- Manage the implementation of daily workshop logistics.
- Coordinate transportation and/or parking logistics for guest speakers presenting at workshops.
- Monitor and order necessary workshop supplies for planned activities.
- Manage all questionnaires/surveys relative to workshops.
- Create a final report of all the feedback for evaluation purposes.
- Meet with MHSURA Program Manager on a weekly basis to update on progress of workshops.
Facilitator Coordinators are directly supervised by the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy (MHSURA) Program Manager.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.