The scientific mission of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) includes the planning and conduct of high quality social science research, the dissemination of the findings from this research and the training of future generations of social scientists. The research is conducted through faculty and staff within five research centers, with central portions of administration handled though the ISR Center for Institute Services (CIS).
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitmnt t serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
The Institute for Social Research invites applicants for our newly created web designer/administrator intermediate position. We are looking for someone who is flexible and is willing to grow with the position. As a member of the ISR Office of Communications, the web designer/administrator intermediate will bring together the web staff from the ISR’s centers to develop a cohesive web strategy. This position will develop best practices, advise and maintain analytics and offer technical support/training. The position will develop, update and manage the ISR website, Intranet and branded website templates. He/she will also be responsible for management and analytics for the ISR’s e-communications.
A cover letter and 3-4 links to work samples illustrating qualifications and competency are required.
Electronic Media Production
- Develop responsive design e-communications using HTML and CSS
- Prepare and send MailChimp newsletters
- Expand and monitor newsletter, web and social media analytics
- Create and implement web graphics and documents that adhere to web technical standards and best practices, ISR, and U-M standards and federal accessibility guidelines
- Lead the migration of current websites to WordPress
- Lead an organized and systematized update for all existing webpages, working with creative team of communication and administrative staff and faculty
- Develop, design, test and maintain multiple websites using front-end coding languages
- Work with staff from other centers to migrate existing websites onto WordPress using templates
- Alter templates as needed, but keeping with the UM and ISR brand standards
- Ensure sites’ usability across web browsers and operating systems (responsive design)
- Designs and develops user interface features, site animation and special effects elements
- Assume responsibility for the timely maintenance of web content and design, coordinating with staff members to obtain new and updated content
- Migrate ISR Intranet from duke.net to WordPress using templates, while expanding content and fixing security issues
- Maintain ISR Intranet
Support and Training
- Launches and leads a ISR web design group
- Directs efforts to specify, improve and implement a cohesive look, feel and function of online projects
- Take inventory of all ISR-related websites and their owners
- Provides technical support to other web staff
- Write, modify, review and present guidelines and documentation
- Disseminate best practices within ISR
- Offer guidance on analytics and user experience
- Bachelor degree in Fine Arts or Graphic Design or equivalent experience required and 3 years’ experience in web design
- Strong working knowledge and experience in PHP, WordPress, coordinating with staff members to obtain new and updated content
- Ability to ensure web accessibility using a minimum of WCAG 2.0 standards
- Experience with Google Analytics. Experience building websites with responsive design. Excellent technical, communication, organizational skills and demonstrated ability to provide effective customer service to a diverse group of people
- Experience as a team leader and project manager
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Experience working with all aspects of digital video to produce short segments and integrate those into dynamic webpages
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- Interest in social media analytics
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.