How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Mobility Transformation Center (MTC) is a government-industry partnership formed at U-M to transform global mobility by dramatically improving transportation safety, sustainability, and accessibility. MTC draws on U-M’s broad strengths in engineering, urban planning, energy technology, and information technology to accelerate progress in diverse areas such as connected-vehicle systems, driverless vehicles, shared vehicles, and smart cities. The focus of the MTC is a model deployment that will allow researchers to test emerging concepts in connected and automated vehicles in both off-road and on-road settings. Through interdisciplinary cooperation, MTC will also address the many social, political, regulatory, and economic issues inherent in the transition to new mobility technologies and systems.
MTC is seeking an energetic and committed individual to serve as the full-time Administrative Assistant. As a member of the MTC team, this person will provide a broad range of administrative support for the center’s initiatives. The successful candidate will report to MTC’s Collaboration Manager and work with the staff and principals within MTC, as well as the U-M Office of Research, Transportation Research Institute and College of Engineering.
- Coordinate the day-to-day office operations.
- Place office and kitchen supply orders as needed.
- Communicate equipment needs and facilities issues to appropriate personnel.
- Provide room set up for all meetings held in MTC conference room(s).
Reception and Member support
- Conduct professional communications with frequent, high-level guests to MTC such as company executives and government officials, including members of Congress and key administrators from various federal agencies.
- Provide key support to MTC industry partners by facilitating their access to center meetings and resources.
General Administrative Support
- Support the administrative activity of MTC’s leadership team as it relates to MTC operations.
- Assist with meeting coordination, calendar maintenance, business travel arrangements and itineraries, and the preparation and submission of expense reports.
- Coordinate travel reimbursements for guests with UMOR Business and Administrative Services and external organizations.
- Respond to email inquiries and maintain email contact lists critical for stakeholder communication.
- Support collaborative efforts and partnerships by effectively facilitating the exchange of information between MTC stakeholders.
- Schedule individual and group meetings; the scheduling component will be substantial and will require keen attention to participant availability and communication flow.
- Provide staff support at meetings, including the preparation and distribution of meeting minutes and agendas.
- Provide hands-on event support and overall coordination of event logistics, including preparing and mailing invitations, monitoring RSVPs and tracking registrations, securing room reservations, coordinating and purchasing travel and lodging for guests, preparing and circulating agendas, meeting materials and packets, promotional materials, organizing meals and refreshments while adhering to university hosting policy, audio/visual solution coordination, preparing expense reimbursement paperwork, taking accurate meeting minutes and providing appropriate hosting documentation.
- Serve as first point of contact for those wishing to reserve or visit Mcity.
- Coordinate scheduling of Mcity and maintain Mcity calendar.
- Coordinate distribution of and submission process for Mcity access and use forms.
- Provide Mcity orientation and assist with safety training as needed.
- Track Mcity usage and assist with billing.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional ability to successfully interface with high-level executives from private industry as well as government officials.
- Demonstration of responsible administrative experience, preferably in a University environment.
- Demonstrated experience with meeting and event planning.
- Significant experience with scheduling meetings and facilitating information exchange between partners and collaborators.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work easily with multiple internal and external partners and units, facilitating administrative matters and providing assistance to bring programmatic aims to fruition.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work cooperatively and professionally with faculty and staff across the University of Michigan campus, and with industry and government partners.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and dependability are essential.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Proficient experience in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Facility with A/V technology.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others.
- Knowledge of the Concur travel and expense system.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.