How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The department manager supervises the day-to-day operations supporting the research, teaching, and clinical services of the Cariology, Restorative Sciences, Endodontics (CRSE) department in alignment with the School’s strategic plan and mission; and participates in the planning and implementation of department goals and objectives. A key role is to advise the department chair, faculty, staff and students regarding financial, operational, and (departmental, School, University) protocol, policy and procedures; and to collaborate with the School’s administration and Service Centers to provide excellent customer service and stewardship of University resources.
Participate in department planning and problem solving of day-to-day operations and resolving moderate to complex issues and representing the department chair as necessary
- Develop and implement department policies and procedures and coordinate a variety of special projects and new initiatives at the request of the department chair
- Manage department resource allocations, including stewardship; supervision of exempt and non-exempt support staff including research and clinical staff, and coordinate their performance reviews and annual evaluations
- Assist with financial planning, budgeting and financial management to meet department and School of Dentistry needs, ensuring that University financial and administrative processes and policies are followed, this includes:
- Review management reports with Chair, determine and implement operational changes
- Perform financial advising and oversight for clinics, labs, operations
- Prepare/submit annual projections, midyear and special projections
- Monitor budgets and expenditures, provide variance explanations
- Manage various accounts, reviewing expenditures and provide analysis and reports
- Facilitate department annual salary program
- Calculate and project faculty incentive payments
- Approve travel expense reports
- Collaborate with School of Dentistry Finance & Budget Office to develop and provide key performance metrics and financial reports which support strategic planning for academic, research and clinical operations
- Liaise with the School of Dentistry Accounting, Procurement, Contract and Grants, and Human Resource Service Centers regarding Service Level Agreements and administrative transactions; and, discuss overall grant projections related to funding issues, effort reporting, including bridging funds, cost sharing and contractual agreements
- Collaborate with Faculty Affairs to ensure timely and smooth coordination of faculty reappointments, faculty promotion & tenure review, and faculty annual reviews. This includes coordinating with HR the visa process if necessary and also the appointment process of Visiting Scholars.
- Coordinate with clinic and program directors to manage graduate programs; and, as necessary collaborate with Academic Affairs regarding departmental undergraduate program activities.
- Supervise coordination and completion of space inventory, facilities and maintenance issues including commission and de-commissioning labs.
NOTE: This is a .60 FTE (comp rate range is $35,000 - $40,000)
- Demonstrated excellence and considerable experience managing budgets, projects and performing analysis
- Considerable experience managing a department and supervising staff
- Considerable experience providing high-level support to a department chair or director with attention to detail and follow-through
- Demonstrated experience supporting faculty and students
- Outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage relationships in a complex organization structure
- Ability to provide clarity and direction in an ambiguous environment
- Bachelor’s degree in business, or related work experience and at least 5 years of management experience in an administrative, academic or health care environment
- Excellent attendance record and organizational skills
- Strong systems experience, including MS Office products, databases, and UM M-Pathways systems, and Reports
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent
This position is located at the School of Dentistry at 1011 N University Ave
The Business Administrator Inter position is posted at 60%; however dependent upon the qualifications of the candidate and matching with department's needs, the position could be increased up to 100% (Full-Time).
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
MDentistry: advancing health through education, service, research and discovery.
MDentistry Core Values: Compassion, Leadership, Excellence, Responsibility, Trust, Creativity, and Inclusion.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by: -Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences. -Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.