How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Dining is comprised of thirteen on-campus cafes and eight markets, nine residential dining halls, a line of Blue to Go foods and the Michigan Catering unit. Our 300 professional and 2000 student employees are committed to creative, healthy and nutritious foods, international cuisines and sustainability throughout all dining operations.
Performs a variety of professional and administrative support to Michigan Dining General Managers/Managers/Chef de Cuisines. Administers financial functions including, billing for Michigan Dining Local vendors and internal campus departments as well as Pcard and Statement of Activity (SOA) reconciliation, purchasing and revenue and expense tracking and reporting. Supports and trains department professional staff using specialized software.
General Office Support (50%)
- Assists callers who may be students, faculty, staff, parents, vendors, catering clients or other guests and members of the campus community.
- Provides support for Michigan Dining in a multi-unit environment. Manages calendars for assigned professional staff and departmental calendars for special events, unit specific visitors and shared room resources. Manages mail distribution and orders office supplies. Makes travel arrangements as required. Coordinates meetings and agendas, takes meeting notes as required. Serves on search committees.
- Coordinates service requests for maintenance, IT, phones, business cards, and other common office needs.
- Creates, organizes and maintains office files, systems, email groups and online directories. In partnership with other administrative assistants’ reviews and maintains information on sections of the public MDining website, staff intranet and shared drives.
- Supports units by making point of service displays and labels. Proofreads communications and marketing materials for accuracy and grammatical correctness.
- Recruits, hires and supervises student office staff.
Financial Administration (30%)
- Records sales, food costs and labor costs and maintains and reconciles tracking reports for Michigan Dining.
- Validates timekeeping records for bargained for staff; corrects errors and resolves inconsistencies and irregularities. Validates and approves time stamps for temporary employees; reconciles reports provided from temporary employment services.
- Reviews catering contracts for multiple facilities and maintains data in event management system to ensure accurate billing. Resolves billing data inconsistencies and concerns with internal and external customers; reconciles process to confirm all contracts have been billed and funds received.
- Coordinates staff Pcard applications and reconciles Pcards statements for professional staff. Trouble-shoots problems and irregularities with individual employees and Concur/Pcard Office.
- Approves student payroll, and serves as back-up payroll delegate.
- Processes financial transactions, maintains financial records and prepares routine management reports. Generates monthly SOA reports for Administrative Services functions; reviews for accuracy and reports inconsistencies to management. Prepares reports and spreadsheets as requested. Tracks invoices and assists vendors inquiring about payment for goods and services.
Systems Support (20%)
- Supports and assists Michigan Dining staff with general troubleshooting and questions regarding basic FSS, Net Catering and Event Master modules.
- Trains management and support staff on Event Master, Net Catering and other CBORD modules. Provides assistance with training and orienting new employees to Google mail, calendars, contacts, drive and the Michigan Dining web site and staff intranet, as well as shared drives and folders.
Other duties as assigned.
- High School education diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years of secretarial or administrative support experience.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills, attention to detail, strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to provide positive customer service.
- Ability to work under pressure, set priorities, exercise initiative, meet deadlines and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Requires the ability to exercise independent judgment and employ basic reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in common Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and the ability to learn specialized software.
- Experience with M-Pathways and U-M and/or Student Life HR processes.
- Previous experience in the food and beverage industry.
- General knowledge of catering services and business procedures operations.
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
- Drive to provide excellent service to internal and external constituents.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to write basic correspondence, use proper grammar and interact professionally with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Excel and Word); ability to learn specialized food service software.
- Ability to coordinate complex logistics.
- Competencies include:
- Drive for Excellence
- Business and Industry Knowledge
- Fiscal Stewardship
- Customer Satisfaction and Communication
- Working with Diverse Constituencies
Must be flexible and able to adapt to change in a fast-moving, intense work environment.
Maintain a stationary position for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodations to assist with events and service in our dining halls, cafes, markets and at catering events as needed.
Supervises student employees.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.