UM-Dearborn is an inclusive, student-focused institution committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and service, as well as access, affordability and metropolitan impact. Founded on more than 200 acres of the original Henry Ford Estate, UM-Dearborn was forged on the principals of practical innovation of its industrialist benefactor. UM-Dearborn offers its 9,300 students the opportunity for a transformative education aligned with the academic excellence of the University of Michigan and rooted in a deep commitment to metropolitan Detroit. Since its inception, UM-Dearborn has set itself apart from its peers through its diverse an inclusive campus community and its intentional, meaningful engagement with local industry, government, and nonprofits.
The Office of Career Services is committed to transformative and impactful career and professional development, in working with our students and alumni. Our goal is to facilitate career and employment readiness. Through our College to Career Planning Class, Career Services leadership development and professional success program, employer recruiting events, helping students to gain work practice through student employment, co-curricular experiences, and other initiatives, we work to connect students and alumni to career education and employment opportunities. We apply best practices in career exploration, job search preparation, career and job search strategy, networking, and employment connections. At our core, we are student, alumni, and constituent driven. We leverage information, people, processes, and programs in delivery of career and employment opportunities to our constituents. Applying our career and employment readiness model “Achieving Your Career B.E.S.T.”, our objective is to educate, support, and facilitate the career success of our students and alumni.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to positively and effectively interact with a wide variety of people and groups
- Effective as both a team member and as an individual
- Flexibility to meet changing priorities
- Must be self-motivated
The Office of Career Services at the University of Michigan-Dearborn seeks a Career and Employment Readiness Manager who is a self-starter, a team player and an enthusiastic professional. The selected candidate will lead the Career Services leadership development and professional success program, assist with further developing our Student Employment Program, and develop our early connection program to support incoming freshmen and in particular, first generation students. The selected candidate will be the first Career Services point of contact for prospective students, in support of the campus recruiting efforts of Admissions, CASL and other partners. Also, the selected candidate will deliver career coaching, job preparation sessions, workshops, programs and events that are specific to employment and career education, while customizing the delivery model to match the needs of specific student or alumni constituent groups. The candidate will develop and sustain productive relationships with our Admissions Office, students, faculty, staff, employers, the community and other career education and employment readiness partners. Key job functions are career and job search coaching, establishing and managing relationships, supporting career education communities, expanding outreach, enhancing outcomes, leveraging existing resources, and being able to quickly respond to new trends and best practices. This position reports to the Director of the Office of Career Services.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Must have over 2 years of professional related work experience
- Higher education experience or a similar setting requiring successful engagement of others
- Experience working with students, employers, and constituents toward specific outcomes
- Ability to conduct career and employment preparation sessions, programs, and events
- Ability to positively and productively synthesize programs, resources, and office outreaches
- Knowledge of Job Search Processes and Strategies
- Experience working with data collection and analysis
- Computer literate, able to deliver quality work and capable of using social media
- Successful networking with others, resulting in established desired outcomes
- Manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, ever changing environment
- Leadership ability
- Team contributor
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Embrace and welcome change
- Perform other duties and assignments as needed
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.