How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are in search of a Financial Analyst Senior to join our team in the Fleming Business Services office, which provides business and administrative support for several of the university's executive officers.
Fleming Business Services leads the development of thorough business cases to support financial requests for service changes/improvements. This position will work directly with clients to develop concise financial/budget models. This includes preparing narrative documents, clearly outlining the approach, analyses, assumptions and conclusions for the business case. The workload at times may result in working more than the standard full-time workload.
- Perform analytical studies and conversion of data into concise understandable reports.
- Leverage internal systems and data to answer questions and interpret data. Build clearly understandable analyses/models, documenting all assumptions.
- Work directly with the executive offices to develop, review and analyze budgets, forecasts and performance reports.
- Lead the development and compilation of entity reporting.
- Prepare financial and operational projections of activity and costs, analyze and interpret budget to actual variances and assist in developing accurate and timely internal reports.
- Provide guidance to budget analyst seniors.
- Oversight/review of client's financial reports, as needed.
- A Bachelor's degree in business administration with a major in accounting or finance
- 5 to 8 years of professional experience
- Ability to utilize spreadsheet software to model and analyze data
- Ability to interpret financial data, write reports and present financial information
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate and work with a variety of individuals and units
- Capable of adapting to changing work assignments
- Experience in leading and managing small work teams
- Progressively responsible Project Management experience
- Budgeting experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Master's degree and/or CPA
- Experience in a higher education business setting
- Reasonable knowledge of University of Michigan policies, rules and regulations
- Understanding of the M-Pathways system including the ability to retrieve required data using Business Objects and familiarity with NVision reporting
- Knowledge of fund accounting principles
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of $6 billion, is a leader in higher education. The Finance Division reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and partners with the University community to provide the financial infrastructure essential to being one of the world’s greatest public universities. We are comprised of several units including Treasury, Financial Operations, Sponsored Programs, Procurement
Services, and Financial Analysis. Comprised of several distinct divisions, we share a common set of values and goals. For more information about the Finance Division, please go to www.finance.umlch.edu.
We offer an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.