How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Student Life Budget and Finance (SLBF) supports the Student Life departments of Housing, Dining, Unions, Conference and Events, University Health Services (UHS), Rec. Sports and many departments, centers and programs within Student Life. SLBF prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, prepares annual budgets, data analysis, procurement and accounts receivable support across Student Life. SLBF also facilitates the annual Internal Controls gap analysis process, provides financial system and business process training as well as updates to U of M processes and policies within Student Life.
This position reports to the Directors of Student Life Budget and Finance (SLBF), with a functional relationship to Recreational Sports Leadership, and supervises two Financial Specialist Intermediates. The position provides the Directors of SLBF and Rec Sports Leadership with comprehensive, timely and accurate financial analysis and budget support with a strategic insight. In addition, this position is responsible for supporting all business and finance activities for Rec Sports and Student Organizations Accounts Service (SOAS), as well as act as a finance liaison for Rec Sports with other divisional units. This position is responsible for determining and supporting process improvements and efficiencies in financial operations of Rec Sports and SOAS.
- 10% Budget support and analysis:
- Annually, assist with the preparation and distribution of all budget files and supporting documentation for Rec Sports Leadership and all department heads. Participate in budget meetings with department managers as assigned. Assist with the preparation of budget scenarios as needed. Maintain comprehensive budget history including rationale behind budget decisions. Represent Rec Sports and SOAS at budget related meetings. Prepare monthly budget spread for salaries, revenue and expense. Work with leadership and staff to ensure funding agreements are properly recorded in the budget commitment system, and
- Assist and review the monthly/quarterly/annual budget projections including variance analysis and narrative. Meet with department managers to provide updates regarding their budget variances. Work with department managers to identify strategies for keeping future expenditures in line with budget.
- 40% Financial Reporting & Analysis:
- Review reconciliation of revenues and expenses, including the determination if expenditures are recorded properly,
- Work with leadership to automate reporting wherever possible, reduce and/or eliminate reliance on supplemental or shadow financial systems,
- Review and monitor entry of financial data (revenue and expenses) into the Rec Sports and SOAS financial accounting system,
- Review and periodically audit accounting entries to ensure the accuracy of the financial statements,
- Review consolidated Profit & Loss by using all financial databases available at Rec Sports and SOAS,
- Review and/or prepare accurate notes to the financial statements, balance sheet, cash flow, key indicators, Accounts Receivable reconciliation, monthly and quarterly revenue reports, patient encounter statistical reports and graphs, monthly sales tax reporting, correction, transfer, revenue, monthly and year-end journal entries and other sub-ledgers as part of the financial statements, and
- Prepare graphs and charts for special reports or events (e.g. Board of Regents, Rec Sports and SOAS meetings).
- 40% Financial Management
- Serve as the business and finance process strategic partner for Rec Sports and SOAS. Work with business and finance process leads to ensure work is processed correctly and in a timely fashion. Respond to basic inquiries and complaints,
- In consultation with the divisional account management and billing leads, coordinate accounting transactions between Rec Sports and SOAS and other University units including month-end close and upload of monthly Service Unit Billing, Journal Entries and Student Account transactions,
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analysis by extracting financial data from multiple data sources and assemble data for analysis,
- Ensure reconciliations are complete and monitor expenses,
- In consultation with the divisional gift steward, review gift processing for Rec Sports and SOAS,
- Work with and answer questions from Rec Sports managers and staff from other departments listed above regarding any accounting and financial issues, including the budget and financial reports,
- Assist in development of Rec Sports and SOAS related accounting policies and procedures,
- Periodically audit internal controls for the organization and provide recommendations to management about changes that should be made, facilitate annual Internal Controls Gap Analysis for Rec Sports and SOAS, and
- Stay informed of all GAAP and University of Michigan’s Standard Practice Guides (SPG) changes that will affect financial statement preparation and the accuracy of the financial statements, especially in regards to specific requirements for Rec Sports and SOAS.
- 10% Supervise and other
- Provide oversight and assign work and tasks,
- Approve timesheets in a timely manner,
- Conduct weekly 1:1 meetings, quarterly coaching and feedback and annual evaluation and performance review,
- Participate on University, Student Life and Rec Sports and SOAS committees and workgroups as assigned, and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field,
- 3 - 5 years of experience in financial analysis or accounting,
- Ability to interpret financial data, write reports, and effectively present financial data and analysis,
- Experience with University of Michigan’s M-Pathways Financials Systems
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures, including those regarding human resources, financial management, internal controls, procurement, and student services
- Ability to effectively manage assigned personnel
- Excellent interpersonal skills and evidence of working collaboratively and diplomatically to foster strong teamwork
- Excellent problem solving skills and be a self-starter
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service outlook
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.