How to Apply
We, the staff and faculty of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each FCVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The FCVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center’s philosophy and culture:
Excellent service is an expected and integral part of the FCVC culture. To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and should be attached as the first page with your resume. The cover letter should address each of the following points in 50 words or less:
- Describe your background and qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position at the FCVC.
- Outline your service excellence, communications and event planning skills and experiences which would be applicable to this position.
- In your most recent position, how was service excellence emphasized?
- Describe a situation in which a customer or colleague was upset and the steps you took to resolve the issue to a reasonable conclusion.
- Describe your key impressions of the FCVC presentation found here:
The Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC) Inpatient Bed Coordinator will direct the coordination of bed placement for University of Michigan Cardiovascular patients, optimizing patient flow across all CVC inpatient units to promote quality, safe patient care and maximize throughput. The Inpatient Bed Coordinator will also serve as liaison for clinical and operational issues surrounding patient placement in partnership with medical and nursing staff, provide ongoing updates of anticipated and confirmed discharges and transfers, provide tools and resources which will facilitate inter- and intra-hospital physician communications, and collaborate with ancillary services and others as needed to eliminate barriers to timely transfers and discharges to optimize bed utilization.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Provide effective communication with team members, other departments, and outside hospitals/physicians to ensure seamless processes.
- Provide accurate and timely follow-up with staff, patients and families.
PATIENT PLACEMENT PLANNING AND COORDINATION :
- Maintain current knowledge of specific unit patient placement criteria for Cardiovascular inpatient units.
- Round continuously on all FCVC patient care areas to gather and report real time activity.
- Provide ongoing updates of anticipated and confirmed discharges and transfers.
- Collaborate with ancillary services and disciplines to eliminate barriers to timely transfers and discharges to optimize bed utilization.
- Collaborate with nursing and medical staff to assess levels of care required for current patients in ICU/moderate care/telemetry.
- Identify options to facilitate transfers to higher level of care as needed.
- Facilitate intra-unit transfers to optimize medically necessary private and cohorting rooms and patient satisfaction.
- Provide ongoing assessment and communication of bed availability and changes in patient clinical condition to patient placement team.
- Assess patient volumes and workload intensity in all FCVC areas for coordination and appropriate patient placement.
- Partner with charge nurses to identify and problem solve patient placement barriers to expedite bed assignment process.
- Develop a plan for placement of next day scheduled admissions in collaboration with the patient care areas of FCVC and the patient placement team.
- Provide cross coverage within the FCVC patient placement team as needed.
- Ensure pending and confirmed discharges are entered into the appropriate systems.
- Facilitate communication of area admissions and bed availability through daily structured processes such as bed briefing or others as determined by the FCVC Patient Placement Team.
- Educate and provide feedback to nursing and medical staff in FCVC departments, inpatient units, and procedural areas to improve patient placement and bed management.
- Support the education mission by providing education and precepting to trainees/staff as appropriate.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT :
- Participate in the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of policies and procedures related to patient flow, bed management and utilization management.
- Assess and evaluate new or revised systems which support FCVC patient placement team goals and objectives.
- Recommend and facilitate improvements in the patient placement process based on data analyses.
- Recommend and facilitate improvements in patient placement and utilization processes.
- Document notable events for follow up and make recommendations for quality improvement.
- Maintain required documentation to support quality improvement and performance metrics.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT :
- Participate in the orientation and training of FCVC Patient Placement Team staff.
- Participate in activities to promote continued learning and professional growth.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Under FLSA, incumbents in this position are exempt.
- Functional and administrative supervision is received from the Frankel CVC Patient Flow Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, related science field or allied health discipline (respiratory therapy, social work, occupational or physical therapy).
- Minimum three years consulting experience in disability management, case management and/or occupational health is necessary.
- Must be able to demonstrate progressively responsible experience related to disability management, case management, occupational or allied health related fields.
- Excellent clinical knowledge and assessment skills to evaluate and prioritize patient flow issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a diplomatic and effective manner and under pressure when necessary.
- Demonstrated excellent problem solving, conflict resolution, verbal, and written communication skills, and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish excellent working relationships with physicians and all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated team spirit, dependability, initiative, good judgment, and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with team members, patients, and families.
- Must provide strong customer service skills in all interactions.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and web-based applications are necessary.
- Ability to multitask and work well under time constraints.
- Demonstration of commitment to the Frankel CVC Core Values.
- Five (5) or more years of clinical experience.
- Experience facilitating patient placement and flow.
- Experience with systems that support patient flow, revenue, and admission processes.
This position will require evening and day shift hours with weekends required.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.