How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
PAs are directed to apply to job # 140625 and NPs are directed to apply to job # 140624
A total of one(1), 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Section of General Surgery is seeking a qualified PA to join the general surgery service to provide inpatient floor coverage. Duties include: Assist the physicians by providing diagnosis and treatment of patients for the general surgery inpatient floors. Assist with outpatient clinic postoperative follow up visits as needed. Duties include inpatient morning rounds, process daily orders, perform various therapeutic and minor surgical procedures, wound care, progress notes, processing of patient discharges, patient and family education, discharge planning. Collect and assist in the interpretation of reports from diagnostic and laboratory tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies. Order tests and recommend to the physician the prescription of medications. Assist in referrals to various internal and external facilities. May further order and prescribe medications in accordance with statutes, rules and regulations of the State of Michigan. Complete and record detailed narrative case evaluations in a timely manner. Participate in the educational conferences with the general surgery services.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Registered Nurses job family under number 140624 for NPs to apply
Required Qualifications (NP):
- Current licensure as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification as Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Will consider Adult-gero primary care NP with experience in surgery or emergency room.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Required Qualifications (PA):
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Current Michigan Controlled Substance License.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
Required Qualifications (NP/PA):
- BLS approved by the American Heart Association
- Current DEA is required.
- ACLS may be required if mandated for certain privileges.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team is required.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and computer skills are required.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One year PA/NP experience preferred.
- Experience in surgery or emergency room/urgent care is desired.
- Prior experience working with resident-based academic team is desired.
Hours: 40 hours per week, (4 days at 10 hours), on select days from Monday - Friday, 6am start time.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.