How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Working independently or with minimal supervision, design and construct a relational database (database tables, structures and processes) to allow for efficient and effective analysis and reporting of data. Under general direction, create merged data sets and combine information across systems internal and external to Michigan Medicine. Plan and implement the database management aspects of major new products and programs (e.g. disease registries and reporting) including definition of data requirements, data modeling, data capture, design and implementation of database tables, and testing. Coordinate with other team members to determine timing of development efforts and key milestones. Utilize SQL, PL/SQL and ETL tools to load and manipulate internal and external healthcare data. Create documentation related to database design and data management activities. Maintain collaborative team-focused relationships with support, clinical and administrative staff within Michigan Medicine and external agencies as appropriate. This position may mentor junior staff members and/or students. This position is directly responsible to the Team Lead and the Manager of the Quality Analytics Database Team.
- Design and construct a relational database (integrated database tables, structures and processes) utilizing PL/SQL and ETL tools to combine data from various sources. Develop data models and data acquisition and loading plans. Design and build complex processes and structures to evaluate the integrity, accuracy and completeness of a variety of data sources used in quality reporting. Design and build dashboards or other interactive reporting capabilities. Design and create clinical data extracts for payer and HIE partners. Work with clinical analysts and business analysts to ensure that database programming, design and processes meet the needs for reporting and analysis.
- Mentor junior staff on database programming and database management activities. Coordinate with other team members to determine the timing of development efforts and key milestones.
- Design and perform testing to ensure data quality and integrity. Design and create standard documentation related to programming processes and database management activities.
- Utilize SQL, PL/SQL and ETL tools to load external healthcare data.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or another Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience and 5 plus years of experience in information technology, database design or data management is required for the senior level
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or another Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience and 3 plus years of experience in information technology, database design or data management is required for the intermediate level
- Experience with clinical healthcare data, including data management, and integration of multiple data sources
- Epic (vendor) applications, especially Clarity
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal, presentation, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Programming/SQL experience and/or experience reading source code
- Experience in an analytical environment (e.g., data warehouse, business intelligence)
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility to adapt to a changing environment
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or another Master’s degree with equivalent experience and 5 plus ears of experience in information technology, database design or data management is preferred
- Oracle experience
- Experience with reporting tools (e.g., Crystal Reporting, Tableau)
- Understanding of web-based application technologies
- Experience with the University of Michigan
Directly responsible to the Team Lead and the Manager of the Quality Analytics Database Team.
May mentor junior staff members and/or students.
Maintain collaborative team-focused relationships with support, clinical and administrative staff within Michigan Medicine and external agencies as appropriate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.