How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be submitted as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to the position.
The Microbial Systems Molecular Biology Laboratory (MSMBL) offers high throughput automated DNA extraction and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) using the Illumina MiSeq platform. NGS services are provided to laboratories at the University of Michigan as part of the Host Microbiome Initiative and to external clients from institutions worldwide. The laboratory is seeking an experienced scientist with NGS experience to lead the MSMBL as the scope of the laboratory expands.
The laboratory provides NGS services to investigators on campus and throughout the world who are exploring the role of microbes in health and disease. The candidate will work primarily with a group of senior laboratory personnel to assist and collaborate with researchers within the laboratory and beyond.
Duties include -
- Correspond with customers and collaborators both on and off campus regarding sample submission and protocols used within our lab, including supplying documentation used for publication purposes.
- Research and execute new methods and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Administratively prepare and assist in writing of non-competing progress reports and competing renewals of the Center grant.
- Evaluate the new Next Generation Sequencing products including kits and equipment required for the core pipeline from sample to data.
- Recommend purchases and negotiate pricing with company representatives.
- Planning and policy development.
Administrative and Personnel Management:
- Manage day-to-day operation of Microbial Systems Molecular Biology Laboratory.
- Responsible for equipment maintenance and service contracts.
- Supervision of lab employees (exempt, non-exempt, temporary and students).
- Determine recharge rates annually.
- Prepare budgets and oversee the accounting and fund distribution.
- Create invoices for work performed in the MSMBL.
- Responsible for the development of all job postings, candidate review, coordination of candidate interviews, coordination of salary approval and for final hiring decisions; manage the annual employee evaluation process; manage employee timekeeping process.
- Business development planning.
Supervision of Research/Research responsibilities:
- Review and evaluate results, quality mgmt.
- Validation of workflow processes and protocols.
- Methods development and implementation.
Intermediate Level: A Masters degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology or other related field, doctorate preferred. Five or more years of laboratory experience with a minimum of two years of Next Generation Sequencing laboratory experience.
Associate Level: A Masters degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology or other related field. One to three years of laboratory experience with a minimum of two years of Next Generation Sequencing laboratory experience.
Experience with the following techniques: nucleic acid isolation and quantification, PCR, gel electrophoresis, NGS library construction. Previous experience with the following laboratory equipment: PCR instrumentation, Agilent Bioanalyzer 2100, Illumina MiSeq. Previous experience with method development, biological sample processing, high-throughput work flow and managing reagent and consumables inventory for cost analysis purposes. Applicant must have strong computer and meticulous record keeping skills. Excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills are required. Necessary prerequisites include a high degree of motivation, the focus to process routine high-throughput sampling with consistent quality control standards, and the ability to think and work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team supporting the Center for Microbial Systems laboratories and the Host Microbiome Initiative.
Desire to learn and become proficient programming an Eppendorf epMotion liquid handling system that requires software for set up and running tasks.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.