How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Please make sure that the resume you submit reflects your complete work history (post high school), including weekly hours worked in each positon.
The Emergency Department (ED) Patient Services Assistant is an integral member of the ED Team, providing clerical support for patients, medical providers, staff, families and visitors in Adult and Children's Emergency Services, working as a team member to consistently and accurately perform clerical duties to support compassionate, efficient patient and family care. The successful candidate will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting in person, fielding and routing phone calls, and other communications for patients, families, faculty and staff.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Check-in support for patients in both Adult and Children’s Emergency Services.
- Greet and assist patients/visitors both in-person and with phone calls and information requests.
- Provide and promote exceptional customer service.
- Unit clerk support for all ED treatment areas. Work with all members of the ED staff in a team effort and perform all other duties as assigned.
- Screening and routing of internal and external phone calls.
- Facilitation of communication with ancillary services, and contact outside facilities for medical records.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of respect, courtesy, and teamwork in speech, manner, and tone.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum two years of experience in a fast paced customer service oriented environment with demonstrated excellence in customer service.
- Demonstrated competence in computer software applications, and multi-phone lines.
- Ability to exhibit professional and positive attitude when interacting with patients, faculty, visitors and staff.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities in a very busy clinical setting.
- Ability manage stress effectively.
In addition, the successful incumbent will demonstrate/possess the following:
- High enthusiasm and energetic personality.
- Respect for people, and hard work.
- Willingness to challenge, and better yourself.
- Flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented.
- High level of personal and professional integrity.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree.
- One or more years of clerical experience in a health care setting (preferably in an ED setting).
- Experience working with electronic health records, preferably MiChart/Epic.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
*Salary range is based on a combination of experience and education. A higher salary may be achievable based on desired qualifications.
This is a 40 hour per week position on the NIGHT shift. The UMHS Emergency Department is a 24/7 unit including weekends and holidays. Employment requires set every other weekend rotation and a three holiday (annually) commitment. Regardless of hired shift, initially a four-week orientation will be completed during day shift hours.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.