How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Dermatology is seeking a full-time Financial Specialist Associate to join our team, providing financial operations support to both faculty and staff. This position involves: monitoring and reconciling a range of accounts, establishing shortcodes, preparing journal entries, and working with Shared Services to research and resolve problems. In addition, this position will work closely with the research faculty and staff on the development of project budgets and maintenance and reporting of project grants.
- Perform monthly reconciliations via M-Pathways for sponsored research and departmental accounts.
- Manage, monitor and process transactions, including journal entries, UDCs and shortcode maintenance.
- Analyze account activity, research discrepancies and work with departmental staff and Shared Services to resolve issues. Alert department administration to any areas of concern.
- Assist in the review and communication of updates to UM, MS and departmental policies and procedures.
- Serve as a back-up on department purchasing processing.
Financial Research Support
- Working with the Principal Investigators (PI) and their staff, assist in the development of project budgets.
- Review financial activity on project budgets on a monthly basis, ensuring that spending is in compliance with University and sponsor guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation of effort changes, re-budgeting, and closing out project grants.
- Prepare monthly research reports for research faculty and departmental administration.
- Prepare monthly reports summarizing royalty, gift and endowment activity.
- Prepare and distribute monthly CME reports.
- Assist with special projects and ad-hoc reporting.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field and a minimum of 1 year of experience.
- Proficient in the use of Windows based program.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness and sound organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely communicate financial information to all levels of faculty and staff who may have varying degrees of financial knowledge.
- Robust problem solving and analytical skills.
- The ability to work independently as well as in diverse teams.
- Outstanding customer service.
- The ability to handle confidential information.
- Familiarity with UM accounting systems, policies and procedures.
- Experience with queries and/or developing reports using Business Objects.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.