Basic Function and Responsibility:
To join in the never-ending, always-rewarding, drive to further patient care and outcomes for our surgical patients! Your role in the perioperative environment’s quality improvement program will include the advancement of data display and analytics to tell the story of quality and safety. You will be involved with event case reviews, database creation and design, application design, and strategic communication in support of perioperative efforts.
You will collect and analyze clinical information from medical records, patient flow sheets and electronic data sources for the purpose of producing measures of process and outcomes of care. Management of databases, dashboards, and data measures includes the identification, investigation and resolution of issues with data quality. You will produce performance reports for review and evaluation by departmental and hospital leadership, guiding implementation and improvement actions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate aspects of inter-departmental Quality Improvement reviews
- Perform data entry & creation of simple to complex databases
- Maintain quality assurance database via EHR/SQL data management
- Respond to inquiries regarding matters of a sensitive and confidential nature
- Assist with data collection and presentation of quality control, medical record, and clinical audits
- Gather statistical data and analyze for routine reporting and presentations
- Perform ad-hoc data reports and analysis as needed
- Advise on innovative applications of data and IT services for quality, safety, and implementation efforts
General supervision is received from the Anesthesiology Quality Improvement Program Manager.
Intermittent supervision of temporary employees as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of experience and education is necessary.
- Must be fluent in MS office programs, specifically Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be proficient in database creation and querying via Microsoft SQL, preferably Microsoft Access, as well
- Must have proven experience in developing electronic dashboards, preferably with Tableau
- Administrative staff support experience, including working with clinical computer supported data systems is necessary.
- Some knowledge of Hospital or clinical department policies and procedures is necessary.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills including self-management and multi-tasking, along with tact and diplomacy.
- Professional communication experience with multiple media.
Working knowledge of UMHS clinical programs GE Centricity, EPIC MiChart. Working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs is desired. Working knowledge of medical terminology strongly suggested. Comfortable with periodic viewing of medical procedures and procedural environments.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.