How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position. The cover letter must be included as the first page of your resume document and should address your specific interest in this position and the skills and experience that directly relate to the job responsibilities.
The UMHS Office of the President is looking for a senior administrator to manage a variety of institutional initiatives and projects. The staff specialist plans and directs strategic activities for the UMHS Office of the President with accountability to ensure activities are meeting UMHS, Michigan Medicine, and the institution’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Provide highly responsible, complex administrative support for the UMHS Office of the President.
- Coordinate the planning, development and implementation of new or changed administrative policy and procedures. Assist in the development of governance for the new clinical enterprise structure. Assess the implications of new initiatives. Develop long-term plans and/or models to project the impact of changes or new assumptions affecting human, financial, and space resources.
- Create and develop a portfolio management tool for the clinical enterprise to allow for a systematic approach to optimizing investments and provide an analysis and decision-making framework for managing investments throughout their lifecycle. Coordinate from demand management to project management, to asset/operations and benefit realization.
- Monitor and coordinate commitments made on behalf of the Office of the President. Commitments to include financial, HR, administrative, and faculty appointments across the institution.
- Participate in the development and implementation of effective policies, procedures, and controls for administrative functions across Michigan Medicine.
- Participate in the planning for the office’s facilities and/or renovations. Coordinate facilities and space planning for the office including allocations and reallocations of space.
- In conjunction with the chief of staff and as part of a team, plan, manage, and ensure the success of the UMHS Board process, which includes external members, and is chaired by the president of the university. Manage the overall planning and organization of the board, responsibilities include: development of the board agenda and materials, policy implementation and development, communications, and organizational development.
- Provide administration for executive groups, including coordination of agenda and assistance in preparing and reviewing materials for discussion. This includes working with the UMHS Executive Committee and the Clinical Leadership Team. Analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and make independent decisions on matters of significance.
- Represent and communicate the office’s interests to internal and external stakeholders.
- Network and develop strong relations with other units on campus to foster collaboration and implement best practices. Build strong working relations across Michigan Medicine to provide effective collaboration and problem-solving that aligns missions.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience with considerable professional experience and reasonable prior management, supervisory or team leader experience. Applicants should have proven ability to work independently but also function as a member of a team. Excellent written and communications skills are required, as is proficiency with the Microsoft Office software suite. Applicants must be able to write organized, clear and concise reports and summaries for leadership review.
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines in a complex organization with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptionally strong written communication skills.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to translate into actions.
- Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work with senior leadership and with internal and external partners.
- Reasonable experience researching and developing queries to extract data.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working with senior leadership. Work must be completed accurately and on time. The work schedule must be flexible in order to meet the needs of the role.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.