The applicant will become an integral member of a large successful group studying epithelial biology and pathogenesis of mucosal inflammation in the gut. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to perform experiments using a variety of state of the art techniques involving cell biology, protein biochemistry, molecular biology, and in-vivo animal models. This position offers unique opportunities for ambitious individuals to interact with a diverse group including technicians, graduate students, post docs and faculty. This individual will maintain and provide epithelial cell lines and primary cells to lab members and assist with executing experiments requiring tissue culture under the supervision of the laboratory manager and principle investigators.
- Maintain Tissue culture (intestinal epithelial cell lines and primary tissue culture) for lab personnel
- Develop, design and conduct complex research experiments using techniques such as western blotting, immunostaining, and microscopy.
- Implement research methods, identify problems, find and implement solutions in conjunction with senior lab personnel and Principle Investigator.
- Work effectively as part of a laboratory team, including assisting colleagues in skill development as needed.
- Maintaining databases and experimental records.
- Familiarity with laboratory instrumentation is necessary. Will be expected to assist with maintenance of equipment and train others on use of equipment.
- Assist with laboratory safety and ordering.
Bachelor’s degree in biological science or health sciences and at least one year of research laboratory experience. This experience should be in an area of relevance to the project, such as molecular biology, molecular genetics, cell biology or biochemistry, and must include a documented ability to proficiently execute routine laboratory techniques. A strong motivation in advancing laboratory and research skills to become a core member of a research team is also essential. Proficiency in English, strong work ethic, computer (word processing, power point and spreadsheet software) and communication skills as well as the ability to work efficiently in a team setting are required.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.