How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the positon and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering department seeks an Engineer in Research Lead to plan and coordinate the activities at the Marine Hydrodynamics Laboratory (MHL). Responsibilities for this position are as follows. Coordinates with the MHL director and participates in negotiations with sponsors/vendors. Reviews and approves plans and specifications. Prepares or supervises the preparation of proposals and project reports, including the descriptions, engineering methods, material and labor costs, and scheduling. Reviews and evaluates bids and proposals from subcontractors. Supervises engineering staffs and student research assistants working at MHL. Management duties include interviewing, selecting and training of employees, planning and directing their work, and appraising their productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in their status. Research duties include collaboration with faculty, staff, and students in the preparation of papers, reports, and presentations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the MHL.
- Functional supervision of the NAME staff affiliated with the MHL.
- manage the effort and oversee the time reporting of staff
- meet with the MHL Director regularly to review ongoing activities and projects, performance of lab staff, and project the future activity of the MHL
- Oversee expenditures associated with the MHL accounts related to labor, equipment, etc. Meet regularly with MHL Director and NAME administration to review ongoing expenses and project future financial activity of the MHL.
- Work with the MHL Director to manage, maintain and recommend improvements to the test facilities and physical plant of the MHL.
- Work with the MHL Director and staff to develop new teaching, research and testing activities for the MHL. This will include the development of externally supported research and testing projects.
- Work with the MHL Director to review and approve MHL projects, plans, proposals and reports. Support and/or manage the MHL experimental efforts.
- Work with the MHL Director to perform the annual reviews of the NAME staff affiliated with the MHL.
Requires a Master degree Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Aerospace Engineering with additional 4 years related experience.
Experiences with towing tank and wave basin experiments, and general machinery and electrical engineering knowledge are preferred.
For more information on the Marine Hydrodynamics Laboratory, please visit our web site https://mhl.engin.umich.edu/
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.