How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Social Worker for Adult Hospital Palliative Care Consult Service: Provide primary psychosocial support to patients and families, to facilitate communication, promote care planning, and expedite transitional care, to assure appropriate level of care
- Direct Patient Care Responsibilities : As a member of an interdisciplinary consult team, conduct a thorough psychosocial and family assessment of patients referred to consult service. Provide psychological and emotional support and counseling to patients and families. Coordinate community referrals and work with community-based providers in coordinating care.
- Interdisciplinary Team Responsibilities: Participate in the development and documentation in the medical record of a cohesive palliative care plan based on the assessment and recommendations of all team members. Participate in scheduled team meetings and daily rounds. Liaison with Social Work staff on primary care team.
- Teaching/Training/Research Responsibilities: Participate in training of School of Social Work field placement students as field instructor, preceptor, or presenter. Provide training to other UMHS staff as well as extern al community organizations and groups re: end -of- life issues and palliative care program. Collect and submit data as requested to monitor outcomes for program evaluation, CQI projects using metrics of this program in carrying out clinical research
- Departmental Responsibilities: Attend staff meetings; participate in supervision and workteam meetings, projects and/or committees.
Social Worker MSW:
- Master's degree in Social Work from a school accredited by the Council of Social Work Education is necessary.
- Must have current clinical license to practice social work in the State of Michigan.
- Clinical practice concentration and field practicum or recent work experience in a hospital required.
Social Worker MSW Senior
- In addition to the qualifications for Social Worker MSW, advancement through the career ladder at the Expert or Clinical Scholar Level is required for placement in the Senior Classification
Demonstrated ability to effectively work as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Extensive experience with end -of-life care and a variety of counseling techniques in acute care hospital and/or hospice
This 40 hour position will primarily work weekdays, however, 1 weekend coverage per month will be expected from this position.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.