How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Medicine Office of Development is looking for the ideal candidate to assist with various functions of financial monitoring, reporting, budgeting and internal control processes.
The candidate must have significant accounting and finance knowledge, be self-motivated, possess analytical skills, possess independent problem-solving skills, have a strong attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
This position will provide comprehensive, timely and accurate strategic financial analysis and budget support. The successful candidate will have the latitude to function in a manner which allows for independent judgement and decision making in delivering projects in a timely and effective manner
Budget Support and Analysis:
- Independently prepare and distribute monthly budget reports, providing narrative on budget variances and trending.
- Prepare quarterly budget dashboards using data visualization to provide insightful analysis enabling the organization to make informed business decisions.
- Work with budget owners to assist with understanding and interpreting financial performance against budgets. Recommend corrective course of action as necessary.
- Maintain comprehensive budget history including rationale behind budget decisions.
- Work with individual budget owners to facilitate strategic forecasting of their annual departmental budget; assist with the annual comprehensive organization-wide budget forecasting process.
- Participate in post-event budget reconciliation to ensure an accurate final cost and ROI and make recommendations for increasing ROI on future events.
- Provide accurate and thoughtful guidance regarding development financial policies and procedures.
- Research accounting and budgeting questions and issues as they arise, and complete special projects as assigned.
- Review and periodically monitor accounting entries to ensure the accuracy of the financial statements.
- Provide training to Michigan Medicine Office of Development staff on budget and financial topics.
- Automate reporting and streamline reporting process wherever possible, recommend new approaches, methodologies and tools for data-driven decision-making and planning.
- Promote a strong internal controls environment. Periodically audit internal controls for the organization and provide recommendations to management about changes that should be made, facilitate annual Internal Controls Gap Analysis
- Demonstrate a subject-matter curiosity necessary to obtain details from clients to ensure that report output meets the needs of the client.
- Use query tools to extra data from multiple systems (Excel, Access, Business Objects, M-Reports, Finance BI, Tableau)
- Working in Tableau, create new reports and deliverables that meet active business needs, as well as exploring new ways of showing data and information (that customers and leadership potentially do not know is feasible/needed)
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analysis by extracting financial data from multiple sources and assemble data for analysis and presentation.
- Prepare graphs, charts and slides as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration, finance, accounting or a relatable field of study.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible financial experience, preferably in budget setting and analysis in a customer-focused role.
- Prior experience analyzing and understanding financial variances of actual vs. planned amounts.
- Skilled with translating data into useful management information; talent in presenting conclusions in clear, concise and well documented reports; knowledgeable with use of visual data and creation of charts and graphs.
- Knows and applies fundamental financial concepts, practices and procedures to business process.
- Possess strong technical skills and the ability to use desktop software effectively including Microsoft Word and Excel. Final candidates may be required to complete skills assessment testing.
- Experience with data querying software, ability to utilize existing queries and develop/write new reports as necessary.
- Ability to interpret and communicate sensitive data and complex issues to a varied audience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to interact comfortably and professionally and build successful relationships with various levels of management and staff.
- Proven track record of completeness, accuracy and consistent attention to detail.
- Possess sound judgement, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures, including those regarding financial management, internal controls, and procurement.
- Experience with University of Michigan’s M-Pathways Financial Systems and Michigan Medicine Financial Systems.
- Experience in databases, data queries and data software such as Access, Business Objects, Oracle and Tableau.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.