How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 141808 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 141809
A total of one (1) 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Cardiac Surgery (STC) Consult Provider (NP/PA) will provide support to the Cardiac Surgical Inpatient Service as directed by the Section Head of Adult Cardiac Surgery, the Director of Clinical Operations for Cardiovascular Center and the Cardiac Surgery Advanced Practice Team(APT) Manager. Cardiac Surgery consult requests may originate from any adult inpatient location. The NP/PA assigned to the consult role would provide evaluation and treatment of patients related to those consult referrals under the direction of the Cardiac Surgery attending physician assigned to Cardiac Surgery Call. Within the physician-NP/PA relationship, the NP/PA exercises autonomy in medical decision making and provides a range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for STC patients. The STC Consult NP/ PA practice may also include education, research, and administrative services such as assisting with staff supervision and training.
- Initiate communication with the referring physician.
- Take and record histories and physical examinations.
- Order appropriate treatments, medications and diagnostic studies.
- Review and interpret lab and other diagnostic test data.
- Provide patient education on both disease management and preventive care.
- Admit patients, complete H&Ps, admission orders and/or preoperative orders and communicate with other care providers as applicable.
- Complete admissions from home, clinic, ED or other services as required.
- Evaluate and triage VAD patients in the ED when there is no VAD provider on staff.
- Triage all other Cardiac Surgery readmissions as needed.
- Manage VAD and other cardiac surgery patients being admitted from ED.
- Discharge patients, complete discharge summaries, and communicate with other care providers as applicable.
- Participate in teaching rounds and present at patient care conferences.
- Function to assure medical care is accomplished effectively and efficiently in a cost effective manner.
- Identify work-related problems with possible solutions and implements solution(s), when appropriate.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of medical principles, practices, standards, and techniques in accordance with UMHS policies and procedures, Medical Staff Bylaws and State and Federal laws/regulations.
- Function as a preceptor for other health care professionals.
- Participate in activities that promote professional growth and self-development. Attend pertinent in-services, departmental and other meetings as requested by the Section Head of Adult Cardiac Surgery, the Director of Clinical Operations for the Cardiovascular Center, the Cardiac Surgery APT Manager and in accordance with Medical Staff Bylaws.
- Adhere to all UMHS dress codes, personnel and safety policies.
- Adhere to Service Excellence and Patient Family Centered Care (PFCC) guidelines.
- Supervision Received*
- Indirect supervision is received from the Section Head of Adult Cardiac Surgery. Functional supervision is received from the Cardiac Surgery (STC) attending assigned to Cardiac Surgery Call. In addition, supervision is received from the Director of Clinical Operations for the Cardiovascular Center and the Cardiac Surgery APT Manager.
- No direct or functional supervision is exercised by the PA.
Note: This position is also posted in the Nurses job family under number 141808 for NPs to apply.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited NP program
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Current DEA license is necessary
- Experience rounding on an inpatient internal cardiac surgery based service for a minimum of 12-24 months caring for acutely ill patients on the step-down and moderate care setting.
- Demonstrated ability to complete history and physical examination; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; responsive to patient and family preferences and needs.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange and collaboration with patients, families and health professionals.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrates a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to diversity.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrates professionalism, consideration and confidentiality towards others in stressful situations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult cardiac physiology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult cardiac surgical procedures.
- Must be ACLS certified.
- Ability to work days with flexibility to cover vacations.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Two to Five (2-5) years of experience caring for cardiac surgery patients in a hospital setting, preferably ICU.
- Experience caring for ventricular assist device patients.
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer skills including computer documentation and order entry.
- Ability to function independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated clinical leadership and experience with coordinating and managing complex and multifaceted projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous clinical instructional roles.
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week
Shift/Hours/Days: Day shift; 8-hour shifts
Hours: 8:00a.m. to 4:30p.m.
Location: Cardiovascular Center and University Hospital
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Center’s philosophy and culture: http://www.med.umich.edu/cvc/cvcpotentialteam.pdf
This position may be filled using an FLSA exempt or non-exempt designation.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.