This is a Temporary Position
1) Accurately read and adhere to standardized recipes for hot and cold food items, including breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees, sauces, soups, salads, sides, starches, and desserts if necessary
2) Prepare hot and cold food items to order or in a batch to fulfill meal tickets as ordered, providing a consistent level of food quality within stated time of delivery
3) Consistently check ingredients for accuracy, quality, quantity, and visual presentation
4) Operate and properly maintain, clean, and sanitize institutional food preparation including but not limited to scales, slicers, steamers, robot coupe, ovens, grills, microwaves, etc.
5) Utilize organizational skills to prioritize several tasks at once, including the simultaneous preparation of multiple meal tickets during high volume call times
6) Simultaneously execute tasks in various work areas of the kitchen to assure that all food items are available for service to patients
7) Communicate daily with the Food Production Manager and Executive Chef regarding food products, supplies, equipment needs in order to meet production requirements
8) Understand and follow health code regulations at all times for maintaining proper food temperatures, including temperatures for holding, reheating and serving food safely. This includes inspection of, and the taking and recording of food temperatures according to the FDA Food Code and as required in HACCP plan and departmental policies
1) Demonstrate excellent communication by having the ability to read English with comprehension, listen effectively, speak and write clearly, and accurately follow written instructions, including job routines, recipes, directions, and precautions on product labels
2) Ability to perform physical job tasks safely. This includes but is not limited to lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, reaching, standing for up to 8 hours, and pushing and pulling up to 35 pounds
3) Experience following standardized recipes and portioning, and the ability to understand the importance of following standardized recipes and portioning as it relates to meeting patients nutrition needs and ensuring their health and safety
4) Ability to multitask and work at a fast pace
5) Proven ability to perform excellent customer service
6) Experience utilizing resources, and recognizing and minimizing food waste
7) Proven organizational abilities as they apply to food production work areas, including ability to prioritize work to provide timely meal service to patients
8) Excellent attendance record
Must be flexible with schedule, includes both day shift and evening shift. Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
This position requires background screening, including drug testing.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.