How to Apply
This job will be filled at either the senior or intermediate level, depending on the experience of the selected candidate. Salary will be commensurate with the qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume.
The letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
- Include your current or ending salary.
Merit Network Inc., a nonprofit corporation owned and governed by Michigan's public universities, owns and operates America's longest-running regional research and education network. In 1966, Michigan's public universities created Merit as a shared resource to help meet their common need for networking assistance. For over 50 years, Merit Network has remained on the forefront of research and education networking expertise and services. Merit provides high-performance networking solutions to Michigan's public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other non-profit organizations.
For more information: http://www.merit.edu/
Merit Network is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our Product Management Team. The Senior Developer will be a part of a software development team providing software tools and applications in support of large-scale, high-volume services for the higher education and non-profit community (Examples: Merit RADb - http://radb.net/ and The Michigan Cyber Range - https://www.merit.edu/cyberrange/ ). The team creates applications, tools and integrations that enhance Merit's service offerings as well as to increase operational efficiency within Merit. The team works with internal customers in order to identify needs and solution requirements. The team builds technology solutions and manages each project from initial scope to release. Once released, the team is responsible for maintenance and will work with customers to periodically review and further enhance the tools. The team is also responsible for keeping Merit current with the latest and most useful technologies.
This position will be an excellent opportunity for a driven individual to push the limits of current web technology and experiment with a variety of techniques, in order to build robust, enterprise-level solutions.
The team’s current development stack consists of: Perl, Mojolicious, DBIx::Class (and DBI), Moose, Bootstrap, jQuery, AngularJS, and Oracle in a Linux environment.
Secondarily, the team also uses MySQL, PostgreSQL, Python and C.
Essential Functions for this position are followed by an (E).
As the Merit Senior Developer, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Approximately 65% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Evaluating requirements for new web-based applications and enhancements to existing applications. This includes interviewing stakeholders and documenting requirements. (E)
- Designing, building, testing and documenting web-based applications and supporting back-end systems. (E)
- Working with APIs and other data sources to integrate with external systems. (E)
- Supporting legacy code and projects (with an eye to replacing them with modernized solutions). (E)
Approximately 25% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Trouble ticket response and resolution. (E)
Approximately 10% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Keeping abreast of new programming technologies; making recommendations on future technology direction. (E)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5 to 7 years of experience with systems analysis and programming activities in a business environment.
- Proven ability to deliver production-ready software on time and on budget.
- Fluency in Perl, PHP, or Python.
- Knowledge of shell scripting, linux system utilities, network and application protocols.
- Background developing in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl) environment.
- Solid SQL skills (MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle).
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task many small projects in a shared code environment (GIT/SVN).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels both within the organization and with Merit’s members and customers.
- Dedication to learning and advancing your skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot software and communications malfunctions.
- Solid understating of testing best practices and why testing is important.
- Object-Oriented Perl (Moose)
- Experience with NetSuite ERP
- DBI and DBIx::Class
- Mojolicious MVC framework
- jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, and Angular.JS
- C experience
- Mobile app development experience
- Knowledge of the networking or cloud services industry a plus.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations a plus
This position is being posted at the senior level, but we will consider filling it at the intermediate level depending on the qualifications of the preferred candidates.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- For information about benefits: http://www.umjobs.org/university_benefits/.
- For additional information about this position and to review other current openings at Merit, please visit our website at: http://merit.edu/employment/.
Work Conditions and Context
- Employee must be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time
- Requires fine motor coordination/dexterity, repetitive movement and vision with or without corrective aids/adaptive devices
- Requires the ability to move through the facility to attend meetings/events and access files or information
The University of Michigan/Merit Network Inc. conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Merit serves the research, education and public sector communities as a trusted and valued partner. Merit advances member success, research, economic development, collaboration, and professional development by leveraging its network infrastructure, expertise and the value of its member communities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.