How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
- Include your current or ending salary
The University of Michigan-Dearborn Information and Technology Services (ITS) has an exciting opportunity to employ a Service Center Support Specialist Associate to support IT on the Dearborn campus. As a member of the the UM-D Desktop team, the selected candidate will participate in tier one and two production support operations and be responsible for supporting customers at all levels, including the executive level, for their hardware, software, networking, storage, and security needs in a complex computing environment. This role requires a positive attitude, a drive to focus and produce results, and the ability to work independently to provide excellent customer service and effectively manage customer relationships in a constantly changing and evolving environment. This position will report to the Service Center Support Supervisor responsible for supporting various departments across campus.
For more information about the department of ITS, please visit our website: umdearborn.edu/offic...-technology-services
As a Service Center team member in the ITS organization within the University of Michigan-Dearborn, this position’s key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides tier one and two technical support and service restoration for daily operations and project efforts. Follows procedures and guidelines to install, configure, customize, troubleshoot, upgrade, integrate, and maintain systems, software, workstations, printers, wireless devices, handheld devices, network and port configuration, and peripherals. Supports and collaborates with team members and other technical staff. Promotes understanding with customers on the benefits of the IT service provider model to help foster collaboration. Actively monitors systems for availability, error conditions, adequate space allocation, backup integrity, and performance.
- Actively coordinates with team members and other service support groups to resolve incidents and requests effectively within service level expectations. Utilizes enterprise level service management tools to update and capture meaningful information to establish standards and metrics to support future resolutions of incidents and requests.
- Collaborates with team members and customers and contributes to efforts to develop, design, implement, and continuously improve systems. Promotes cooperation and customer relationships by coordinating with customers, the Neighborhood IT team, and other technical staff to plan operational and project work.
- Works on more than one task at a time and manages work effectively by prioritizing own assignments, schedules, and meetings resulting in timely completion of work. Work assignments include resolving issues with multiple components (e.g. hardware, operating systems, applications, and network) and integration of components, as well as requiring understanding of the service bundle (e.g. file storage, security). Resolves problems and seeks assistance only after own attempts have failed. Proactively anticipates and resolve problems, and creates conditions and processes to support change.
- Contributes to hardware, software, and services enhancements by identifying when established procedures are not working or there are gaps in processes, and makes recommendations for improvements. Develops and edits customer and technical support knowledge base documentation.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software, and technical services. This can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research, and testing. Develops and follows best practices, procedures, and shares knowledge with team members.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- Minimum of one year experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully install, configure, maintain, and support Windows and/or Mac desktop operating systems and layered software.
- Familiarity with some or all of the following technologies: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, OSX 10.x+, Microsoft Office, browsers, local account management, scripting, software installs and removals, registry, command line, help ticket systems, and system management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation, and performance monitoring) for at least one of the following platforms/systems: Windows or Mac.
- Familiarity with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, and collaboration applications).
- Broad, multi-disciplinary infrastructure background.
- Experience supporting both Windows and Mac systems.
- Experience utilizing enterprise level system management tools (such as SCCM) and processes.
- Experience supporting executives.
May require working non-standard hours and on weekends. May require on-call availability. Schedule subject to change. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
May require travel to various locations on and off the university campus.
Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement which the incumbent signs.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.