Primary duties entail serving as a student assistant under the supervision of the Administrative Assistant. Under direct supervision, the student assistant provides service to those calling the main campus phone number, including staff, students, potential students, parents, faculty, vendors, and campus visitors. The student assistant will have a secretarial desk located at the Dean's suites. The student assistant will be the official greeter of students, staff and faculty who desire to use the resources within the college. As such, the student assistant must be dressed in attire that is appropriate for this position. Assignments have limited use of discretion and judgment. Work is regularly reviewed and may entail detailed instructions. The job duties will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Answer the phone and take messages for personnel.
- Assist students, staff and faculty in the use of the various inquiries.
- Assist the Dean's personnel in keeping the bulletin boards organized and up-to-date.
- Assist the Dean's personnel in publicizing events by creating, addressing and posting materials on the bulletin boards around campus.
- Assist the Dean's personnel in sending out mailings on campus.
- Set up catering/hosting and clean up when events have concluded.
- Assist with maintaining the M+Box
- Handle the mail.
- Type letters as requested for the Dean's personnel.
- Using copy machine, make copies as requested by the Dean's office.
The student assistant who works in the CASL Dean's Office is required to have the following job skills and or qualities:
- Student at U of M - Dearborn
- Good social skills (must be a "people" person, over the phone and in person)
- Neat handwriting
- Dress in appropriate office attire
- Accurate and moderately fast typing skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work well with little supervision
Must be dependable with excellent attendance and no tardiness.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.