How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should address the specific interest, skills and experience that directly relate in this position. Please address your cover letter to the following: Chris Heidenreich, D.Mus., Associate Professor, Chair, Department of Music, University of Michigan-Flint.
YOU MUST apply online in order to be considered for an interview.
Candidates may be required to perform a piece that best represents their respective performance skill, sight read, and/or appear in rehearsal to work with a conductor and large vocal ensemble.
The Department of Music at The University of Michigan seeks a Lecturer I to fill the position of Applied cello instructor. The Applied Cello instructor is responsible for on-site instrumental instruction in the area of cello for students enrolled in such study at the University of Michigan-Flint. With 14 weeks of instruction required, the target start date is Tuesday, September 5, 2017, and last date of instruction is Tuesday, December 12, 2017. Tentatively scheduled jury dates will be confirmed within first month of hire.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Subject to the policies and directions established by the UM-Flint Department of Music and the UM-Flint Lecturer’s Employee Organization, the duties of the Applied Cello instructor shall include, but not limited to:
- Create and implement an individualized plan of instruction for students enrolled in Applied Study based on their current level of ability and the guidelines and expectations established by the department.
- Provide feedback and assessment to enrolled Applied Cello students at a jury date to be determined regarding both the student’s performance on the jury as well as progress throughout the semester under the guidelines established by the department.
Estimated salary for this position is $546 per student per semester
- Demonstrate excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Bachelor’s degree in cello performance or music education required
- Passion for and experience in teaching students to play cello
- Master’s degree in the same areas preferred, although professional experience will be a consideration
- Experience in teaching musicianship preferred
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Lecturers Employee Organization, AFL-CIO, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of ten calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.