- Interview patients to obtain a detailed patient history.
- Perform physical examination and present pertinent data to medical staff.
- Provide specialized education regarding disease-based and perioperative education/instructions for patients and their family.
- Review possible risks of proposed surgical procedure while obtaining surgical consents (including blood and photography consent and optional tissue research).
- Provide prescriptions and instructions for medications/medical supplies necessary for the pre-operative period.
- Refer the patient to various internal and external settings to complete pre-operative testing and risk assessment. This may include direct communication with ancillary services and/or in-house Anesthesia team.
- Incorporate social work and research resources to benefit patient satisfaction and education.
- Advise patients concerning diet, hygiene, normal growth and development and methods for prevention of disease.
- Compile and record detailed narrative case evaluations and provide statistical summaries of services rendered.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion or the credentialing and privileging process.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by NCCPA or one of its predecessor agencies.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- BLS certification required, or ability to obtain BLS certification within 30 days of start date required
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Hours per week: 40
Shift: Day shift
Location: Domino’s Farm Pre-op Clinic
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at UMHS, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.