How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
The University of Michigan is seeking a qualified systems administrator to play an active role the Digital Innovation Greenhouse (DIG). The DIG is one of three labs within the highly collaborative Office of Academic Innovation (AI). The DIG team brings software development and design expertise, behavioral science, analytics, pedagogical knowledge, and a passion for change to making a University of Michigan education more personalized, engaged, and lifelong. DIG is an innovation accelerator, using agile methods to grow education technologies from invention to infrastructure.
Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
This new position is an exciting role, working within the startup environment of the Digital Innovation Greenhouse to maintain, deploy and support digital education applications that are aimed at both enhancing the residential education experience at the University and facilitating engaged, personalized, and lifelong learning.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Configure and deploy applications based on defined requirements and project timelines
- Streamline application deployment processes to facilitate rapid releases onto robust infrastructure
- Support production applications and work with the team to resolve service interruptions and degradations
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and improve application architecture
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Two to three years of professional web application administration experience
- Experience with deploying web applications at scale using industry-standard practices (Docker, OpenShift, Heroku, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud)
- Experience with relational database platforms (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL platforms (e.g. MongoDB, Redis)
- Experience working with Git
- Strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience working with server-side languages (Python or Ruby) and an associated web application development framework (Django or Rails)
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (e.g. Canvas, Sakai, Blackboard, D2L)
- Experience working on a team with software developers and other technical staff.
- Commitment to improving education
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.