This position serves as a health care interpreter for patients and staff of the Michigan Medicine (MM) Interpreter Services (IS) Program. The interpreter will convey health care information between monolingual speakers in compliance with all IS and MM policies and procedures. The interpreter will comply with all aspects of confidentiality set forth by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements regarding patient confidentiality. The interpreter must have passing performance of competencies listed in the National Standards of Practice and the National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Health Care according to the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care NCIHC). The interpreter will participate in committees and complete projects as assigned. The interpreter is expected to travel within the MM hospital and its dependent satellite locations with significant coverage expected in the Northville and Livonia region.
This is a temporary position working approximately 10 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.
- Facilitate delivery of language services to Limited English proficient (LEP) patients and English-speaking providers
- Work with Interpreter Services staff to coordinate and schedule appointments
- Provide sight and written translation of MM documents for patients as needed
- Document patient encounter according to department standards
- Adhere to all relevant MM and Interpreter Services policies and procedures
- Communicate Interpreter Services resources and protocols to hospital staff and patients
- Adhere to the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care (NCIHC) National Standards
- Travel within the Michigan Medicine locations
- Complete projects as assigned
- Associate’s degree in a healthcare field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Japanese is required.
- Certificate from a nationality recognized Medical Interpreting course encompassing 40 hours of training or more is required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- This position requires frequent standing, walking, positioning during an interpreting session in addition to driving to and from appointments
- Some experience in health care interpreting preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated customer service abilities
- Experience using scheduling databases
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.