* Perform comprehensive mental status examination and psychiatric evaluation.
* Order, conduct, and interpret appropriate diagnostic tests.
* Diagnose appropriate syndromes based on DSM-IV and DSM-V criteria.
* Plan treatment in collaboration with patients, families, and colleagues.
* Provide indicated treatments based on scientific principles, using, but not limited to, the following interventions:
- Prescribing pharmacologic agents.
- Evidenced based psychotherapies (e.g. Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy)
- Patient education including facilitation of self-care.
- Referral to other health professionals and resources.
- Documents all relevant data according to clinical and regulatory standards.
Continuous Quality Improvement/Research
* Supports institutional and unit goals for quality improvement. Participates in Quality improvement activities.
* Participates in systematic reviews of records and/or treatment plans for the
purposes of peer review, self-evaluation, outcome monitoring and/or quality improvement.
* Supports research by defining research questions, participating and/or
conducting research in the practice setting.
* Incorporates research findings into practice.
* Participates as a team member in the provision of psychiatric-mental health care, interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care.
* Promotes a safe and healthful environment through compliance with regulatory standards and other measures.
Education and Professional Development
* Participates in the education of health care professionals and students through mentoring, precepting, feedback in team and clinical care settings, providing inservices, seminars and formal presentations.
* Participates in professional activities that contribute to the advancement of nursing practice, such as participation in professional associations.
* Develops own clinical knowledge and skills through continuing education programs, course work and reading professional literature.
* Participates in own performance evaluation and establishment of plan for self-development and learning.
* Abides by the standards of care and standards of practice established by the Department of Nursing, Michigan Medicine.
* Accepts and abides by the Ethical Code for Nurses as established by the American Nurses Association.
* Practices within the regulations of the Michigan Mental Health and Public Health Codes.
* Incorporates guidelines and standards into practice as established by state and national regulatory bodies and professional organizations.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Master's degree in Psychiatric Mental Health nursing.
- Graduation from an accredited nurse practitioner program.
- Certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing or Family Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing.
- Specialty certification as a nurse practitioner by the State of Michigan.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One or more years experience as a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Training in evidence based psychotherapy (e.g. cognitive-behavioral therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy, or dialectical behavioral therapy).
- One year of experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Shift: Days with possible evenings based on clinical operations
Location: Rachel Upjohn Building
NP Tier: NP MEDICAL SUBSPECIALTY TIER 2
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.