The MLabs Operations Manager provides leadership, management, and support to ensure the operational aspects of MLabs business run efficiently within the Department of Pathology and meet the service expectations of our Clients. This position interfaces directly with Clients and provides supervision and guidance to MLabs Account Liaisons and Client Services Supervisory staff. The Operations Manager works directly with the laboratory supervisors, faculty and staff to develop and communicate client specific protocols and facilitate their implementation. This position shares responsibility for MLabs Quality Assurance Program.
- Supervisor of four (4) direct reports – MLabs Client Services Supervisor, MLabs Account Representative, and 2 MLabs Client Liaisons.
- Responsible (directly or indirectly) for all subordinate staff activities related to human resource management (e.g., hiring, promotion, salary changes, performance coaching, disciplinary actions, mandatory competencies and annual evaluations). Promote employee job satisfaction and professional growth. Lead efforts to build team engagement with focus on trust and cooperation.
- Implement and manage all operational processes required to meet the service expectation of MLabs Clients.
- Manage MLabs Quality Assurance Program, e.g., root cause analysis and resolution of reported error/incident reports, management of Patient Safety Reporting (RM Pro), Client TAT reporting, Call Center statistics, and utilization reporting. Monitor existing QA indicators and continue to develop and implement additional Quality Assurance plans as needed for Clients, managed care contracts, or internal operations.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Department of Pathology supervisors and other staff to ensure compliance with MLabs policies and procedures and respond to related Client and laboratory concerns. Administer new Client start up process including coordination with Specimen Processing, Laboratories, Pathology Informatics, and Billing to ensure a successful outcome. Represent MLabs on AP and CP Operations, QA, Safety, and other committees as assigned.
- Develop and review processes related to MasterControl document control software to ensure compliance with new and existing Michigan Medicine or Department of Pathology requirements. Such processes may include development and/or review of written MLabs policies and procedures.
- Manage MLabs Client education, including performing or coordinating preparation of weekly Test Updates, monitor and website support.
- Development and maintenance of MLabs Test Requisition forms, test packaging kit design and content, clearly written reference guidelines for specimen collection, handling, and transport for various sub-specialty services (e.g., flow cytometry, renal, muscle, nerve biopsies, etc.), and other activities related to MLabs operations.
- Manage and coordinate Client courier and shipping needs and receipt of specimens by the Department of Pathology and performing laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, business, or related field.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in a managerial position within a clinical laboratory, academic health system, or the reference laboratory industry.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements pertinent to reference laboratory business.
- Demonstrated commitment to patient and family center care.
- Demonstrated commitment to Service Excellence.
- Demonstrated excellence in attention to detail.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office Suite applications.
- Seasoned interpersonal, negotiations, and leadership skills required to influence and promote positive team dynamics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working in a clinical laboratory.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience working in the reference laboratory industry.
- Ability to analyze, compare, and evaluate various courses of action and be able to make recommendations to enhance operations.
- LEAN training.
- Experience with hospital (EPIC) and laboratory information systems (SOFT).
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet goals and deadlines.
This full time, 40 hour postion will be Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
This MLabs Department of Pathology position is located in the Traverwood 4 building.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.