The Briarwood Medical Group Ambulatory Care Unit (ACU) is a Patient Centered Medical Home in the Division of General Medicine, which provides team-based primary care to adult patients. The primary mission of the ACU is to provide timely, high-quality, evidence-based, empathetic care to a population of diverse patients while also upholding the academic mission of Michigan Medicine through the education of medical students and residents. We are seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic Patient Services Assistant to join our Business Office Team. This individual will share our priorities which include: high quality medical care, excellent customer service, commitment to innovation, safety of staff and patients, efficiency, employee satisfaction, stewardship of resources and the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
- Check in and check out patients
- Schedule patients for appointments, tests, and consults
- Ensure all pertinent information is available for patient visits
- Prepare, maintain and update forms/records
- Provide general information to staff and patients
- Verify, update patient information, obtain referrals and/or authorizations
- Manage incoming telephone calls, patient appointments and other pre-arrival requirement
- Process patient charges, collect payments and reconcile cash collections
- Work with nursing team, providers, medical assistants, administrative team and other business office team members to improve patient care and improve processes to enhance patient experience
- General office experience.
- Ability to understand medical documentation, coding and diagnosis.
- Candidate must have excellent verbal and written skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate team effort, be able to work independently, have good organization and prioritization skills.
- Candidate must have an excellent attendance record.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to communcate effectively.
- Demonstated active listening, and information technology skills.
- Experience working with Cadence, MiChart and Aspect phone systems.
- Knowledge of insurance carrier requirements.
- Understanding of university policies and procedures.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
Shift: Mon-Fri with occasional late evening and/or Saturdays
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.