To provide approximately 50% administrative duties with approximately 50% patient care responsibilities for the Acute Hemodialysis Unit and Interventional Nephrology Unit (INU). Administrative duties will be supervised by the Nurse Manager and Supervisor and will primarily consist of managing supplies for both units and primary biller for INU. Patient care and technical support will be under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Administrative Duties (Approximately 50% of the time)
- Q-Site administration, maintenance and supply inventory lead for the department.
- Create new EAP/CDM codes (Charge Distribution Master).
- Order, inventory and distribute supplies, forms and medical equipment as necessary.
- Maintain process and documentation for dosimeter radiation badges.
- Participate in cost quotations from vendors.
- Purchase program expenditures such as computers, equipment and medical supplies under the direction of the Nurse Manager.
- Obtain purchase orders online and review expenses as needed with Nurse Manager.
- Maintain purchase and supply order records.
- Responsible for purchasing supplies via Marketsite, Procurement Services.
- Attend unit based meetings and maintain agendas/meeting minutes.
- Assist with CQI data collection.
- Verify and correct the accuracy of the billing reports regarding unit charges.
- Participate in unit based committees.
- Obtain insurance preauthorization and referral for patients.
- Provide general office support including copying, organizing and distributing documents.
- Operate standard office automation devices such as fax, scanner, printer and copier.
- Clinical Duties (Approximately 50% of the time)
- Upon arrival, greet and assist patients to get to the cubicle. Assist with obtaining a weight and transferring into the bed/chair.
- Place patients on a cardiac monitor, pulse ox, oxygen and suction as needed. Has knowledge of respiratory equipment.
- Complete daily routine checks of the crash cart, glucometer, contrast allergy box and airway management box.
- Assist patients with bedpans, urinals and personal hygiene.
- Take and document vital signs and patient weight.
- Scrub in and assist the Medical Director or Physician Assistant with sterile procedures following proper policies and protocols.
- Maintain sterility during procedures.
- Provide recovery for patients after procedure is complete under supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Suture removal.
- Hold pressure on sites after procedure is complete under the supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Relieve staff for breaks/lunches under the direct supervision of the charge nurse.
- Carry the assigned pager during work hours.
- Maintain the patient care areas daily, by stocking supplies in the bedside carts/storage cabinets in dialysis and stocking the procedure/ treatment room in INU.
- Fill blanket warmer.
- Verify all open bottles are dated and initialed.
- Operate laboratory equipment to determine blood glucose and electrolytes.
- Weekly cleaning (Thursday) of bicarbonate jugs and wands and document on log.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machines and document.
- Set up and prime dialysis machines for treatment (line extracorporeal system, prime and test dialysis machine).
- Transport dialysis machines to ICU’s and set up, prime and test the machine.
- Utilize patient tracking system and assist with patient transports as necessary.
- Obtain medications from pharmacy as directed by nursing staff.
- Any other duties designated by the charge nurse or unit leadership.
High school graduate or General Education Development (GED) credential.
2-3 years of related experience
Minimum one year current acute patient care.
Knowledge of Microsoft including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Willingness to learn.
Ability to push, lift and move heavy patients.
Able to adapt to a changing environment.
- Knowledge of hospital based computer systems.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.