How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 143277 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 143278
A total of one (1), 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
- Provide care in the outpatient setting to adult neuro-oncology patients, most of whom will have a diagnosis of primary brain tumor or neurological complication of cancer.
- New patient consultations and follow-up visits in collaboration with the supervising physicians.
- Medical management of patients receiving active therapy including chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, novel agents on clinical trials, and supportive therapy management.
- Patient and family education, counseling and support.
- Collaborate with and refer to other health care providers, and provide education to nursing staff, students, and the community.
- Write orders for ancillary care including patient management orders in conjunction with chemotherapy, transfusion orders, etc., and review them with supervising physician.
- Participate in the overall management of patients enrolled on clinical trials.
- Perform and document via electronic health record medical histories, physical exams, and telephone conversations.
- Review laboratory and radiographic tests results and interface with medical staff and patients regarding results and plan of care.
- Collaborate and serve as a resource for the health care team members regarding the mission of the institution.
- Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs for ongoing professional development.
- Prescribe according to standards of care where applicable.
- After appropriate training, perform invasive and noninvasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including lumbar puncture, intrathecal chemotherapy as indicated for patient care and clinical research.
- Support the collaborative practice with physicians on the team but also expand to a more autonomous practice, seeing patients independently as appropriate.
- With optimal utilization of an advance practice provider, the expectation would be that the majority of time be spent in direct patient care activities with productivity metrics determined by the ACU and ambulatory care.
- Contribute to the development, modification and interpretation of neuro-oncology guidelines, policies, and procedures, including quality assurance activities.
- Provide cross coverage and support to other team NP/PA members as needed
Note: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services job family under number 143278 for PA Applicants.
Nursing Specific Info
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult primary care Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan is preferred. Family Nurse Practitioners will be considered.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner (NP) program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Three or more years of NP/PA clinical experience in oncology.
- Experience in neuro/oncology.
- Experience and efficiency in the use of an electronic health record.
- Experience in developing and providing staff and patient oncology education programs.
- Experience in caring for patients with a variety of acute and chronic medical conditions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as measured by references and interviews.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience in caring for patients on oncology clinical trials.
- Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Recent experience in the University of Michigan Health System.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail email@example.com. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.