How to Apply
A cover letter is required for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experiences that directly relate to this position.
This position will have a joint appointment in the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) and the Center of Engineering Diversity and Outreach (CEDO). The position will work closely with Qualcomm Think-a-bit colleagues. The coordinators will incorporate UM and Qualcomm missions through the execution of activities including career exploration, work values and strengths, and interest and values activities. This Thinkabit Lab will be part of the Michigan Engineering Zone (MEZ), located in mid-town Detroit.
- Lead Think-a-bit Lab and/or WOW (StrengthsFinder/Strong) presentations.
- Understand and be able to communicate the history and mission of Think-a-bit Lab and Qualcomm World of Work to community partners and groups.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with key partners in the Detroit and the greater South Eastern Michigan area.
- Provide support for students and teachers, including advising on how to enroll in Think-a-bit Program and responding to all feedback and questions.
- Manage and coach lab instructors, including 1:1 weekly meeting with the Directors, the entire Think-a-bit team, facilities team, and others.
- Field requests from UM and partnering school system volunteers, coordinate their schedule, and manage their needs and contributions.
- Host groups/school administrators, manage schools calendar, and communicate regularly with schools/principals regarding upcoming visits.
- Manage logistics of arrival/departure times, class size, survey administration, special accommodations, unexpected changes to the schedule requests for booking, etc.
- Maintain and update necessary documents and consent forms in Basecamp, Google Drive, and other collaboration spaces.
- Establish and maintain safety policies, procedures, training, security, and equipment.
- Maintain inventory and ordering of all supplies for the lab, including electronics, crafting material, giveaways, and WOW artifacts, as well as all laptop computers, AV equipment, and IDs.
- Manage all social media outlets such as UM Think-a-bit Lab Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field or a relevant education field required; Teacher certification and experience in secondary education or upper elementary education settings.
Masters degree in a STEM field or relevant education field. Experience in innovations or maker space environments; familiarity with electronics and programming, and willingness to expand these skills. Experience in managing teams of secondary and/or post-secondary volunteers and research assistants. Experience coordinating and leading STEM outreach and presentations. Familiarity with schools and school systems in Michigan and/or specifically Detroit Public Schools and nearby South East Michigan schools.
This position (2 openings) is a one-year term limited position, with possibility of renewal.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.