How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The critical elements of the position include food quality, food cost and procurement, development of staff and sanitation. Leads and monitors the preparation of food and beverage items and cooking activities of food service personnel. Provides functional supervision for Chef Assistants, Cooks, Bakers and other food service staff including student employees in the production and serving areas.
Staff Supervision (50%)
- Exercises functional supervision over Chef Assistants, Cooks, Bakers and other food service staff including student employees engaged in culinary operations.
- Assigns food service personnel to specific duties and directs food preparation and activities in a manner that utilizes their culinary skills.
- Gives specific instructions in the preparation and cooking of menu items and observes activities in the kitchen to determine that food is prepared in a proper manner and waste is minimized.
- Establishes and conducts training programs for unit personnel and assists the Chef de Cuisine/Executive Chef in all training programs.
- Plans and coordinates food preparation for special events.
Food Quality & Student Experience (30%)
- Oversees food preparation, presentation, portioning and plating design.
- Recommends changes in cooking methods to ensure the quality of food service and the taste and appearance of the food.
- Examines food, vegetables, meats and supplies received to assure quality, freshness and appearance.
- Monitors inventory levels and orders food and supplies to ensure that a sufficient quantity of menued items is available for the number of customers served.
- Works in conjunction with the Chef de Cuisine/Executive Chef to improve and standardize recipes.
- Assists in developing projects and strategies to enhance the dining experience for students.
- Meets with students, student groups and students with special dietary needs to ensure that their dining requirements and expectations are met or exceeded.
Sanitation & Safety (10%)
- Continually maintains and trains the staff in sanitary practices and procedures.
- Administers health and safety standards in compliance with university, state and federal codes regulations.
General Duties (10%)
- Serves as a member of the unit leadership team and collaborates on program enhancements.
- Strives to improve and streamline departmental operations through the continuous assessment of policies and procedures, work processes and program effectiveness/value.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings in order to assist in long-range unit planning activities.
- Participates in meetings as necessary or requested.
- Participates in professional organizations, conferences and training activities, representing the department as required or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge of culinary techniques, menu planning, recipe and menu development, dining trends, food ordering, budget management, use of general and commercial kitchen equipment, preparation, presentation, and supervision of kitchen personnel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regional, international and ethnic cuisines.
- Outstanding ability to lead, train, develop, supervise and motivate a diverse team.
- Strong oral and written communication and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of basic computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, email and the Internet; and ability to use CBORD Food Service Suite modules or a similar menu management system.
- ServSafe and HACCP certified within 60 days from date of hire as a condition of employment. If the certification is not acquired during the 60-day period, employment will be terminated. Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
- American Culinary Federation certification at the Certified Sous Chef® (CSC®) level must be obtained within two years from date of hire. If the certification is not acquired within two years, employment will be terminated. Certification must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
- Able to legally work in the United States.
- Competencies include:
- Drive for Excellence
- Hospitality Business and Industry Knowledge
- Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Operational Management
- Fiscal Stewardship
- Customer Satisfaction and Communication
- Human Resource Management & Development
- Working with Diverse Constituencies
- Bachelor's degree in hospitality management or related field.
- Degree in Culinary Arts from an accredited culinary school or apprenticeship program and/or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience as a chef in a high volume, high quality operation with a variety of concepts.
- Previous experience as an Executive Chef.
- College/university food service experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
- The Sous Chef is classified as a “critical employee” and will be expected to be on site during any emergency closure of the University.
- Able to maintain a static position for extended periods of time while preparing food, move throughout the kitchen and dining hall as needed, and move and transport objects weighing 25 - 30 pounds.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.