As part of the healthcare team, support Internal Medicine resident physicians on the inpatient units, coordinating all non-physician tasks directly related to patient care by facilitating patient testing, and follow-up, delivery of clinical services, discharge planning and post discharge appointments.
Communicates as needed with referring physicians, ancillary services, nursing, and families. Bridges the gap between inpatient and outpatient settings, enhancing both patient and physician satisfaction by ensuring uninterrupted continuum of care. Participate in work rounds and attending rounds with healthcare team. Facilitates communication between residents and referring physicians, ancillary services, nursing and families. Coordinates all additional follow-up studies and appointments required by care team. Ensures all tests, studies, and appointments occur as planned. Obtains test results and records as needed from referring hospitals/MD’s and ancillary services. Coordinates post discharge appointments, prescriptions, referrals, and ancillary procedures. Evaluates and resolves clinical scheduling issues. Assists with identification and monitoring of discharge delays due to system issues. Assists with data collection and maintains database for analysis and action. Identifies work needs and determines task priorities. Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in a health science field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, as well as, organizational skills, problem solving skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Efficiency in a fast paced clinical environment.
- Ability to successfully interact with diverse groups of people, including physicians, nurses, patients and families.
- Excellent computer skills.
- 2-3 years of experience.
- Ability to work well within a team setting.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Experience in a clinical setting, either inpatient or outpatient.
- MiChart experience.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.