How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
U-M Tech Transfer is the University organization responsible for the transfer of University technology to the marketplace. Our organization provides responsive, professional service to our inventors and industry partners.
Tech Transfer is seeking a highly motivated, ambitious and experienced Financial Analyst to assist with various functions of financial reporting, monitoring, budgeting and internal control processes.
- Perform analysis of all financial activity across the department, including budgeting, spending analyses and forecasting.Prepare variance analysis reports with written narratives for review.
- Review and analyze the income statement, balance sheet, royalty income/distribution reports, patent expenditures/reimbursements reports and bring observations forward to management.
- Capitalize on the power of the Business Objects reporting tool to create streamlined financial statements, projections and other reports to prepare and assess financial situations.
- Annually assist the Financial Manager with the preparation of the FTE Position Control/Head Count, budget files and supporting documentation.
- Prepare monthly Venture Accelerator, month-end close, year-end close and adjusting journal entries.
- Reconcile expenditures and revenues on monthly Statement of Activity and validate accounting practices.Reconcile check log and clearing account.
- Review expenditures across project grants, maintaining compliance with external sponsor and internal rules and guidelines.
- Prepare and complete preliminary review of internal control reports (GAP analysis). Report findings to leadership and work to resolve gaps or issues.
- Stay informed of all GAP and SPG changes that will affect Financial Statement preparation and the accuracy of the Financial Statements.
- Ensure synchronization between Tech Tracs and M-Pathways accounting ledgers; cross-direction reconciliation (using virtual fields review).
- Prepare some tasks in Tech Tracs to assist with distributions and reporting.
- Collect monthly Tech Transfer metrics data (inventions, patents, agreements, revenue, etc.) and prepare reports and analyses.
BBA in accounting, finance, or business administration or equivalent work experience; seven years of progressively responsible experience in finance, financial analysis, forecasting, and budgeting; extensive knowledge and experience using spreadsheets (preferably Excel) and advanced spreadsheet functions; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels and with varying levels of financial and budgetary knowledge; demonstrated ability to work under pressure of deadlines and competing priorities; demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to complete tasks in a timely manner; adaptive to a changing environment.
Master’s degree and/or CPA; experience in a higher education business setting; reasonable knowledge of University of Michigan policies, rules and regulations; significant experience with Business Objects and M-pathways; knowledge of fund accounting principles
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.