How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight is a federally funded national consortium focused on enhancing U.S. manufacturing competitiveness through a coordinated effort between industry, academia, and government. MForesight brings the manufacturing community together to provide insights to business and government decision-makers on emerging technology trends and related priorities to inform policy and investments in advanced manufacturing. We partner with community experts to identify and explore gamechanging topics and provde a mechanism for the manufacturing community to recommend actions and investments to accelerate manufacturing technology innovation.
MForesight is seeking a full-time Technology and Policy Specialist, who will report to the Managing Director.
Funding for this position is guaranteed through October 2018.
- Scout and pursue opportunities to identify emerging and nascent advanced manufacturing technologies and challenges. This includes performing independent research, attending conferences and workshops, and engaging with the manufacturing community through academic and professional societies, trade organizations, technology transfer offices and interviews with experts in academia, industry, and the public sector.
- Research and evaluate such technologies and challenges in collaboration with the research analyst and collaborators identified from the manufacturing community. This includes technology commercialization assessment and identification of key projects, people, and related challenges and technologies. It also includes consideration of the value of the topic for advancing the competitveness of American manufacturing.
- Represent MForesight in Washington, DC at various conferences, meetings and events and establish relationships and collaborations with key stakeholders.
- Ensure technical accuracy of publications and outputs related to the identified emerging and nascent advanced manufacturing technologies and challenges.
- Contribute toward building a coordinated voice of the manufacturing community as relates to research and development priorities.
- Identify and recruit technical collaborators to engage and contribute to the above tasks.
- Serve as technical lead on the steering committee for MForesight workshops. This includes supporting and guiding the steering committee to ensure workshop objectives and deliverables are in alignment with MForesight's mission and ensuring the agenda and workshop attendees are appropriate for meeting such objectives and deliverables.
- Support MForesight events from the ground in Washington, DC.
- Ph.D. in manufacturing related discipline (e.g. Electrical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering)
- Broad understanding of technology, manufacturing, and public policy. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to become conversant with many different specific scientific, technology, and policy areas as relates to advanced manufacturing.
- Experience in technology scouting and assessment.
- Experience in technical leadership of workshops and publications or reports
- Experience presenting technical information to a broad audience with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm, intellectual curiosity, and self-motivation
- Exposure to real-world manufacturing processes
- Experience in research and evaluation of translational stage technologies
- Experience scouting and assessing academic research
- Experience in a technical leadership role in manufacturing technology focused workshops and reports
- Experience in technology commercialization assessment
MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight: In October 2015 the White House announced a national consortium, called MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight, with funding support by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Standards and Technology, to serve as a "think-and-do" tank to identify emerging technologies that will enhance the country's innovation ecosystem, manufacturing competitiveness, and national security. Serving as the voice of the broader manufacturing community, MForesight is focused on predicting future critical needs for the advanced manufacturing industry across sectors and technologies; and address broader challenges and opportunities in education, workforce development and technology commercialization. Over thirty national thought leaders from industry, NGSs and academia have joined MForesight as members of its Leadership Council to support its mission. Additional details can be found at www.mforesight.org
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.