How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation operates a distinct Inpatient Rehabilitation unit qualified under the Medicare Prospective Payment System (PPS). We are seeking a highly motivated and detail oriented individual to serve as the PPS Coordinator for our 32 bed unit. This position oversees all aspects of data collection and timely transmission of the Inpatient Rehab Facility Patient Assessment Instrument (IRF-PAI) in accordance with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The IRF-PAI details the quality measures which support the billing and classification for each patient.
This PPS coordinator will be the lead for the IRF-PAI completion and transmission to Medicare. This role will also be instrumental in reviewing key documentation requirements related to conditions of payment to ensure the timeliness, comprehensiveness and quality of required documentation. Expertise and guidance will come from the Regulation Analyst and Educator who is also authorized to transmit IRF-PAI to CMS.
The PPS Coordinator supports the quality and performance reporting initiatives of the department and assists with coordinating staff education and training related to mandatory reporting requirements.
- Completes and oversees quality completion of the IRF-PAI ensuring data is accurate and that supporting documentation is present in the medical record
- Reviews all Rehabilitation Impairment Group Categories, etiologic diagnoses and ICD-10 codes to assure congruence and proper Coding for the IRF-PAI. Makes any necessary changes in collaboration with the physician, and HIM to maximize reimbursement.
- Submits IRF-PAI to CMS in accordance with both internal timing guidelines and CMS requirement
- Facilitates FIM and Quality Indicators training for new hires in conjunction with discipline leaders
- Acts as a primary resource for immediate problem solving in regards to FIM and Quality Indicator scoring. This position requires a positive working relationship with interdisciplinary teams.
- Attends interdisciplinary team meetings to provide length of stay guidelines, to capture medical complications.
- Participates in the implementation of ongoing initiatives and improvement projects related to FIM and QI education
- Maintains updated and ongoing knowledge of federal regulations concerning the IRF PPS and IRF-PAI to ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Consults with faculty, resident physicians and other clinicians on opportunities for improvement in regulatory compliance, reimbursement maximization, and patient outcome accuracy.
- Participates in delivery of IRF PPS education related to CMS regulations, documentation requirements, and FIM to ensure compliance with internal policy and external regulatory requirements.
- Supports annual CMS audit, retrieving data and working with reimbursement and billing teams
- Maintains data and prepares reports related to operational and quality metrics under the direction of leadership
- Completes concurrent review for quality and completeness of all physician documentation and therapy minutes. Provides real time feedback for corrections, coding clarifications and timeliness needed to show full compliance with CMS regulations and to maximize reimbursement. Works with IRF Operations manager and compliance to address any variations.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a recognized field which is directly related to the duties of the position and at least 3 years of experience in analyzing and interpreting process, clinical outcomes and costs of care.
- Knowledge of or experience in the delivery of patient care needed to perform the duties of the position
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the management, analysis and interpretation of patient-related health care data
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Must be a team-player with demonstrated ability to work well with others
- Clinical background or experience in inpatient rehab, billing, utilization review or coding preferred
- Experience with FIM and IRF-PPS preferred
This is a 40 hour/week position. Variable hours 7AM-5PM Monday-Friday.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.