How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (400 words or more) to UMSocial@UMich.edu.
As part of the hiring process, you will be asked to create a sample of social media collateral. Further instructions will be sent after your application is received.
The ideal candidate for this role will not only be a regular user of social media personally, but more importantly, will be fascinated by the way social media continues to reshape marketing, promotion, communications and customer engagement. This person is a regular consumer of the latest online trends, strategically curates his or her digital footprint, and is an early adopter of platforms and features. This specialist is interested in not just producing dynamic content but also assessing its value and return on investment. The ideal candidate will be an effective project manager, a big-picture thinker, and an excellent communicator (written, verbal, digital).
This is an opportunity to work with a global brand that serves a standard of best practice for social communications implementation across higher education. To succeed in this role, you must be enthusiastic and uncompromising about ensuring the University of Michigan is always seen as a primary influencer in social communications both among our peers and in the world.
This position reports to the Director of Social Media and is part of the University of Michigan central social unit (UMSocial) located within the Office of the Vice President for Global Communications and Strategic Initiatives.
- Design, curate, and/or manage content for a wide variety of U-M social media properties and clients
- Craft grammatically correct, well-worded, and engaging posts for U-M social media platforms.
- Occasionally attend and take photographs at special events. Communicate with staff to gather information about events, meetings, news and promotions.
- Create and maintain social media editorial calendars for clients that deliver compelling content aligned with the U-M brand
- Provide insight into social media opportunities based on client goals and historical results
- Report on weekly and monthly KPIs for marketing and communication leadership
- Coordinate and maintain paid social campaigns for clients
- Manage and project scope of work
- Prioritize projects and develop roadmaps for execution of content strategy recommendations
- Track, measure, and communicate results by overseeing deliverables
- Leverage design and creative copywriting skills to recommend and execute campaign ideas and optimize conversion
- Further develop service offerings regarding content marketing including influencer-marketing strategy (lead ads, social video, Instagram advertising, automation, and omnichannel integration)
- Author written best practices, summaries, and evaluations of emerging technologies
- Monitor and report on influencer trends and technologies and apply knowledge to develop strategies and tactics to support enterprise and lines of business
- Research, source, build, manage, and nurture influencer relationships/groups/communities
- Identify inbound email and other content marketing opportunities for building an internal and external advocacy network
- Serve as a liaison to intern staff, back up to the Sr. Content Manager and assist the Director of Social Media as needed
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related field; Required
- Two to three years of combined social media, content creation, digital strategy, and writing experience; Required
- Passion for social communications, innovation, branding, and promotions; Required
- Experience working collaboratively to set goals, implement projects, and assess success; Required
- Demonstrated success in communicating and creating in the social space; Required
- Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for brand awareness, strategic accomplishment, reputation management, and customer service; Required
- Knowledgeable about and able to report on current trends and best practices in social media, digital content, and emerging technologies
- Ability to determine and execute social strategy, working closely with cross-functional team members to meet business objectives; Required
- Available outside normal business hours; Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary; Required
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and handle several projects at once; Required
- Ability to take both direction and initiative
- Skilled multi-tasker, excellent listener, and extremely organized
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite;
- Samples of social media campaigns/projects must be submitted with application along with an explanation of impact.
This is a TEMP position 1 year appointment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.