How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The International Center (IC) provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan, as well as U-M students seeking opportunities to study, work, volunteer, or travel outside the United States. The International Center's International Student and Scholar Services team serves as a key resource to the U-M community by advising international students and scholars on compliance with U.S. immigration laws as well as on adjustment to U.S. culture and society. The team also recommends and approves immigration benefits, processes immigration paperwork, and conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and scholars. For more information about the International Center and its services, see http://internationalcenter.umich.edu/
As a member of the International Center’s International and Student Scholar Services (ISSS) team, the Immigration Assistant is responsible for immigration document processing for F-1 and J-1 international students on the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus. This work includes data maintenance, tracking the submission and completion of requests, assembling completed forms and preparing them for delivery or pick up, and preparing documents for imaging. This position also manages mandatory immigration check-in sessions and provides administrative support to the ISSS team. The position requires acute attention to detail, a commitment to excellent customer service, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
IMMIGRATION DOCUMENT PROCESSING AND DATA MAINTENANCE (90%)
• Responsible for processing F and J student requests for Forms I-20 and DS-2019. Steps include entering data needed to produce or add information to immigration documents, following up as needed to resolve errors, tracking submission and completion of requests within the office, assembling completed forms and preparing them for delivery or pick up, notifying clients of completion of requests, and preparing documents for imaging.
• Coordinate processing and ensure accuracy of requests for immigration documents (Form I-20/DS-2019) for admitted students from various admissions offices across campus
• Responsible for logistics of international student mandatory immigration check-in sessions including coordinating scheduling, session registration, communications, and documents. Present arrival information to new students.
• Run operational queries to monitor compliance with federal regulations and to verify data consistency and integrity. Take appropriate actions (data correction, communication with international student, etc.) based on query results.
• Work as a member of the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Team to assist international students in maintaining their F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant statuses.
• Keep track of data using U-M M-Pathways administrative computing system.
• Assist with reconciliation of M-Pathways and SEVIS data.
• Participate in annual international student/scholar orientation and programs.
OTHER DUTIES (10%)
• Provide administrative and office support to ISSS team as needed.
• Provide front desk coverage as needed.
• Undertake projects designed to improve international student services.
• Participate in International Center and Student Life meetings, committees and work groups.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident (U.S. government requirement for access to SEVIS).
• Some knowledge of F or J immigration regulations and documents.
• Experience with SEVIS or immigration document production.
• Experience working with or advising international students or scholars.
• Overseas living, travel, study, or work experience.
• Public speaking and workshop facilitation skills.
• PeopleSoft or M-Pathways experience (particularly with Campus Community and SEVIS modules) with demonstrated ability to locate and interpret information in the system.
• Reasonable knowledge of university policies, rules and administrative procedures.
• Experience with the ImageNow/WebNow imaging system.
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
- Skills: communication, presentation, organizational, and analytical; excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and general database use.
- Abilities: Attention to detail and accuracy; ability to learn new computer applications quickly, ability to learn relatively complex procedures associated with immigration document production, ability to manage time well and to prioritize, ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment, ability to work well in an intercultural environment, and the ability to navigate change effectively
- Competencies: adaptability, flexibility, analysis/reasoning, problem solving, and teamwork
Ability to move and transport objects weighing 25 pounds.
May supervise temporary student employees
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.