How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Department: Annual Giving, Office of University Development
Reports to: Associate Director Annual Giving, Telefund
Supervises directly: 10-15 Telefund Student Fundraising Managers, 80+ Student Fundraisers
Position summary: The Michigan Telefund call center is responsible for up to $2 million in annual gifts and employs over 80 students. It is an automated center that calls on behalf of the University, its campuses and units. The assistant director provides leadership and management for Michigan's telemarketing program, including nightly shift management, recruiting, training, coaching & motivating student fundraisers, and progress reports. Evening work is required in conjunction with calling shifts.
Works with Telefund associate director and annual giving team to plan and efficiently implement annual giving programs. Supervise student fundraising leadership team and student fundraisers.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of OUD and of the university, and in building positive and meaningful relationships with co-workers and constituents.
45% - Staff and shift management
• Manages nightly calling shifts
o Assigns calling pools daily to ensure performance consistency.
o Evaluates calling procedures to identify opportunities for improvement in process, efficiency, and accuracy
o Establishes nightly productivity goals
o Develops and oversees the caller performance monitoring program
o Maintains a professional, enjoyable and productive atmosphere
• Manages student calling and leadership staff
o Maintains a staff of 10-16 student leadership members (managers and supervisors)
o Develops, implements, and enforces employee policies and procedures
o Manages the day-to-day activities of the student managers
o Establishes criteria for regular student fundraiser and student fundraising manager performance reviews, evaluation, including promotion and termination when appropriate
o Participates in weekly student leadership meetings
o Oversees at least one student manager unit (coaching, motivation, recruiting & training, and data) including corresponding responsibilities and budgets through weekly meetings
o Provides high-level caller performance feedback, both individually to callers and anecdotally to student leadership
• Ongoing activities
o Develops and supervises a comprehensive incentives program and motivational activities to increase productivity for callers and supervisors
o Coordinates programmatic sessions to determine effectiveness of caller performance, evaluations, incentive programs and all other aspects of call center efficiency
o Periodically reviews short- and long-term goals and re-evaluate overall productivity for the call center
o Conducts interviews alongside associate director with student leadership candidates and contributes towards promotion decisions
o Develops team-building activities and employee recognition events
o Supports the training of all employees as necessary
o Works to update training procedures as needed
30% - Phone campaign management
• Prepares calling materials and scripts, including talking points and objection response, and other support materials
• Manages process for obtaining alumni records for calling projects as necessary in conjunction with Associate Director, from initial data file request to quality checking to loading data sets
• Segments and assigns calling pools
• Monitors calling trends and informs stakeholders of any significant findings, offering recommendations when possible
• Assists with the evaluation of technology (equipment, software, and hardware) to assess needs for upgrades, enhancements, or replacements
• Manages special projects from both central and unit clients
• Works with Ruffalo Noel Levitz CampusCall software to ensure callers have updated and accurate calling information
• Maintains all aspects of calling interface within calling software including layouts, designation lists, and response codes
15% - Production process
• Partners with other annual giving teams to plan, create, schedule, and evaluate productive, high-quality, cost-effective annual fund phone projects for units and university-wide initiatives
• Conducts quality control checks on annual giving calls to help ensure units are well-represented in all calls
• Works closely with project management team, monitors production process to ensure deadlines are met and project goals achieved
• Participates in project management meetings, offering insights on calling project specifics including pre-project recommendations and post-project summaries
5% - Additional duties
• Assists with training and orientation of new staff members
• Completes other projects and duties as assigned
5% - Industry knowledge
• Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the annual giving and telefundraising fields
• Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, business administration, or related field
• 0-3 years of experience with non-profit annual giving and/or telemarketing programs, preferably within higher education
• Considerable knowledge of call/contact center environment, statistical analysis, project management and database management
• Experience providing customer service in a high-pressure environment
• Excellent oral & written communications skills in addition to strong analytical & computational skills
• Careful attention to detail
• Strong entrepreneurial attitude
• Extensive knowledge of Ruffalo Noel Levitz's CampusCall software
• Basic understanding of SQL-based programming
• A history of innovative solutions to marketing challenges
• Experience motivating large groups of hourly employees
• Knowledge of university processes and procudures
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive, and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations, and corporations.
Annual Giving Department Vision & Mission
The vision of annual giving is to serve the University of Michigan, its schools, colleges, and units with the highest level of expertise and insight in our field.
Our mission is to maximize private support and alumni participation thus fulfilling the objectives of the University of Michigan by championing the donor’s interests and providing annual giving leadership through the facilitation of a productive, collaborative environment with our constituents.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.