How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan, School of Nursing (UMSN), Faculty Support Services is looking for a team player with a positive outlook and flexible ‘can-do’ attitude to join its team as an Administrative Assistant Intermediate. This individual will provide a variety of administrative and clerical services of a confidential nature to faculty as a member of the Faculty Support Team in promotion of the day-to-day operations of the School of Nursing.
Please visit http://www.nursing.umich.edu/ for more information about the school.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proofread and format course related and professional documents.
- Format references for manuscripts and grant applications using standardized reference software such as EndNote. Format manuscripts and grant applications according to the applicable specifications.
- Insert tables, graphs, charts and flow diagrams into documents for grant applications, teaching and other professional communications.
- Convert MS Word documents into .pdf format and vice versa giving attention to the conversion of graphs and tables. Extract and crop pages and insert text in .pdf formatted documents.
- Create and maintain Excel spreadsheets with the ability to develop formulas, as well as create charts and graphs.
- Format tables, graphs, charts, and flow diagrams for grant applications, teaching and other professional communications.
- Provide support to faculty for teaching and course preparation.
- Assist faculty with Canvas course site administration including creating sites, uploading documents, establishing exams, course discussions and the posting of grades.
- Format course syllabi, type and format exams.
- Format and insert objects into Power Point slides.
- Assist with exam administration including proctoring and Scantron coordination.
- Assist with textbook searches and ordering.
- Monitor classrooms for supply needs, room organization, and facility needs.
- Provide general administrative support for UMSN faculty.
- Assist with meeting logistics including scheduling, reserving and arranging space, ordering food, and audiovisual or other equipment assistance as needed for course-related events.
- Use Doodle to coordinate meeting scheduling.
- Assist in the coordination of the centralized collection and storage of School of Nursing course syllabi each academic term.
- Participate in the ongoing coordination of updates to faculty CVs.
- Provide general office support.
- Provide office coverage in coordination with fellow Faculty Support Team members.
- Assist in creating a welcoming, organized, efficient and professional office environment.
- Perform office duties including mail distribution, outgoing mail preparation, data entry, photocopying, scanning, faxing, travel arrangements, providing telephone coverage if needed and filing/maintaining files.
- Serve as an active and engaged member of the Faculty Support Services Team.
- Maintain open communication with fellow team members.
- Participate in the launch of new service initiatives.
- Develop and implement systems for tracking the progress of assignments.
- Create and update process and procedure documentation.
- Participate in regular team meetings.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities.
Supervision is received from the Manager of Faculty and Administrator Support Services.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Five (5) or more years of progressive secretarial and/or administrative experience in a busy, fast-paced, customer service-oriented environment, academic environment in higher education is required.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar and punctuation usage.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook), as well as with Google Drive applications (Documents, Spreadsheets and Forms).
- Demonstrated ability to finalize correspondence, business letters, summaries, and reports; type 55-70 wpm with accuracy; proofread final products for grammar, spelling, punctuation and typographical errors.
- Demonstrated previous experience using reference software such as EndNote or RefWorks for research or academic writing purposes.
- Demonstrated experience with using scheduling/meeting management software such as Doodle.
- Proven ability to perform highly responsible, administrative duties using independent judgment and professionalism.
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail and follow-through on tasks to completion.
- Must have strong organizational skills and the proven ability to work concurrently on multiple tasks with short turnaround time, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize work, and anticipate needs while operating in a fast-paced, pro-active customer service environment is required.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to establish priorities, show initiative in day-to-day activities, solve problems appropriately and work efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to build positive and productive relationships with individuals at various professional levels (faculty, staff, students, etc.).
- Knowledge of administrative/office procedures with a flexible can-do attitude and ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Familiarity with Canvas is preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable University policies and procedures is preferred.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.