How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Applications will be accepted only through the University of Michigan jobs website through July 14, 2017. Visit www.umjobs.org and search for job ID 143723. Applications must include both cover letter and resume to be considered.
UMS, an independent multidisciplinary performing arts presenter with a long and deep affiliation with the University of Michigan, is located in the center of the Ann Arbor campus and offers 70+ performances each season in up to seven University and community venues. Since its founding in 1879, UMS has presented top-ranking international artists including orchestras, chamber music, solo recitals, jazz, world music, ballet, modern and culturally specific dance, opera, theater, choral groups, and special attractions.
UMS also develops and executes an extensive education program involving up to 150 events each season, commissions and presents new work, and hosts many artist residencies. UMS employs a full-time staff of 32, has a 34-member Board of Directors, and engages approximately 700 volunteers who serve various capacities across the organization, including ushering, serving as UMS Ambassadors, and singing in the UMS Choral Union.
The mission of UMS is to inspire individuals and enrich communities by connecting audiences and artists in uncommon and engaging experiences. For more on UMS, visit ums.org, umslobby.org, and umsrewind.org
This position will assist in coordination of operations for a multi-faceted ticket office. Hands-on position includes selling subscription and single tickets for over 150 live events in up to 9 different venues for several different arts organizations annually. Manage ticket office and occasional front-of-house night-of-show activities required in the production of UMS, SMTD, Ann Arbor Summer Festival and Musket performances. The number of performances worked per week varies based on the ticket office show schedule but is generally one to three performances per week. This 22-30 hour/week temporary appointment runs from fall to spring annually with the option of renewing through the summer and following season.
- Provide excellent and courteous telephone and in-person customer service for the ticket office.
- Process phone and mail orders on computerized ticketing system, including cash, check and credit card handling.
- Perform closing duties such as reconciling receipts of cash, checks and credit cards both in the office and online as well as preparing End of Day reports for Finance and Administration.
- Serve as the primary UMS, SMTD, A2SF or Musket ticket sales representative at designated performances, demonstrating excellent customer service when communicating with patrons regarding critical issues such as ticketing problems, late seating, and general public relations. Evenings and weekends required.
- When serving as the primary ticket office representative at UMS performances, supervise the ticket office sales, will call, and traffic flow staff on duty and work with them to resolve any unusual or complicated ticket issues. The number of student staff per event can vary from 1 to 6 people.
- Coordinate set-up of temporary, on-site ticket office when leading performances at venues
- Enforce relevant ticketing policies as determined by UMS, SMTD, A2SF, Musket, and venue management (most events are held in University of Michigan venues).
- Assist in keeping schedule records up to date and reflective of actual staff hours worked.
- Occasionally serve as the primary UMS front-of-house representative at designated performances, demonstrating excellent customer service when communicating with patrons regarding critical issues such as ticketing problems, late seating, crowd control, and general public relations.
- Enforce relevant Front-of-House policies as determined by UMS and venue management (most UMS events are held in University of Michigan venues).
- Communicate with backstage staff and venue management staff to ensure smooth lobby operations in all venues.
- Assist in the supervision of student staff. Work with the UMS Ticket Office full time staff to train and coach student staff.
- Assist Assistant Ticket Services Manager, Group Sales Coordinator, Ticket Services Coordinator, and Front of House Coordinator with special projects as needed.
- Professional experience strongly desired in customer service, event management, ticket office or retail.
- Demonstrated organizational ability under pressure.
- A high level of dependability and professional work ethic.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Demonstrated initiative.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills (phone, email and in person).
- Strong, concise written and verbal communication skills. Superb attention to detail.
- Confident in knowledge of computer systems and software including word processing, spreadsheet, and data management software.
- Comfortable adapting to new technology.
- Interest in performing arts.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Routinely moves equipment and boxes weighing up to 25 pounds for various events.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.