How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Microscopy and Image Analysis Laboratory (MIL), as part of the Medical School’s Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF) within the Office of Research, provides centralized access to major imaging instrumentation to investigators at the University of Michigan.
The University of Michigan seeks to become a world leader in microscopy and image analysis. This role will lead the core to provide technology and expertise to researchers in basic and translational science, giving them the ability to visualize structures within cells, tissues and organs at higher resolution than ever before.
We have identified three areas of critical investment that are essential to achieve our vision of providing researchers across campus with access to advanced imaging instrumentation, training, and data analysis that will speed the progress of scientific discovery.
This position will be responsible for:
• Directing the day-to-day operations of the core;
• Assessing and planning for the future growth and direction of imaging needs across areas of service, by evaluating, introducing & implementing new technology such as super resolution and light sheet microscopy
• Managing the life cycle of service offerings of the core
• Working with vendors to negotiate equipment purchases and maintenance contracts
• Working with BRCF faculty director, enhance service offerings and conduct scientific advisory committee meetings
• Developing and maintaining standard operating procedures
• Prepare proposals for equipment grants, which can include internal and external opportunities (S10)
• Represent the MIL at internal and external seminars & conferences
• Oversee & develop a data analysis resource for investigators generating imaging data in the Core
• Collaborate with other BRCF cores to further promote team science
• Prepare & provide educational seminars to enhance MIL knowledge base; participate in marketing activities
• Interviewing, selecting and training of employees, planning and directing their work and evaluating productivity and efficiency
• Identify & provide additional professional development and training opportunities for staff
• Create & sustain an environment for effective team building
• Prepare recharge rates for the core and set annual budgets; monitor metrics to support rates and budgets; take corrective action when required
• Interfacing with CrossLabs software and University IT to enhance usability, troubleshoot issues, ensure timely & accurate billing and reporting
Ph.D. in a Biological Science, with extensive experience in advance imaging techniques, including live cell imaging, super resolution microscopy, fluorescence (including 2-Photon) and light sheet microscopy. Additional expertise in transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy is desired.
Exceptional communication skills with ability to work in a diverse customer based fee-for-service environment. Previous personnel managerial experience.
Monday - Friday
BSRB & NCRC
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.