How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 143746 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 143747
A total of 1, 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Cardiac Surgery (STC) Night Provider (NP/PA) will provide support to the Cardiac Surgery Inpatient Service. The primary role of the night APT member is to evaluate, manage, and treat cardiac surgery patients under the direction of the Cardiac Surgery attending physician. Within the physician-NP/PA relationship, the NP/PA exercises autonomy in medical decision-making and provides a range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for STC patients. The STC night provider practice may also include education, research, and administrative services such as assisting with team orientation and training.
Under physician supervision, coordinates the care of adult patients admitted to the cardiac surgery service. Specifically, the role requires the clinician to:
- Manage pre- and post-cardiac surgery patients in a telemetry/step-down unit setting.
- Perform, order, and interpret advanced diagnostic and therapeutic tasks associated with patients undergoing cardiac surgery or procedures including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), heart transplantation, total artificial heart, and left ventricular assist devices (LVAD)
- Complete and document detailed histories and physicals; present pertinent data to the faculty
- Interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies
- Educate patients and their families on prevention, disease management, information and details regarding surgical procedures and preventive care
- Perform limited diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor surgical procedures such as removing temporary pacing wires, removing chest tubes, minor chest wound debridement, or placing wound vacs
- Discusses surgical procedures, obtains consent, and facilitates both necessary order entry but also effective interpretation of pre-operative testing
- Maintain continuity of care throughout the Cardiovascular Center; provide team members of oncoming shift with thorough and accurate hand-offs
- Confer with attending physicians and communicate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations, and treatment
- Streamline the patient transfer process between levels of care, including writing discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to team members
- Participate in peer evaluations and quality-assurance activities, support research projects and any other initiative deemed necessary and in the best interest of patient care
- Perform other related duties as required
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of medical principles, practices, standards, and techniques in accordance with Michigan Medicine policies and procedures, Medical Staff Bylaws, and State and Federal laws/regulations
- Participate in activities that promote professional growth and self-development
- Adhere to all Michigan Medicine dress codes, personnel and safety policies
- Adhere to Service Excellence and Patient Family Centered Care (PFCC) guidelines
Note: This is a 1.0 FTE full time night position (13 hour shifts). Some holiday and weekend shifts are required.
Note: This position is also posted in the Nurses job family under number 143746 for NPs to apply.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN)
- ACLS and BLS certification (completed by start date)
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- ACLS and BLS certification (completed by start date).
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to complete histories and physical examinations; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; responsive to patient and family preferences and needs
- Ability to function independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment
- Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to diversity
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer skills including computer documentation and order entry
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult cardiac physiology
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants): You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- At least one year of recent experience caring for acutely ill patients in a hospital setting, preferably cardiac surgery patients in a telemetry/step-down unit setting
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of current medical, surgical, and pharmaceutical treatment modalities of the post-cardiothoracic surgery
- Demonstrated experience with ventricular assist device and heart transplant patients
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous instructional or mentoring roles
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week
Shift: Night shift; 13 hour shifts
Some holiday and weekend shifts required
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.