Minimum level: BEI I or higher (Board for the Evaluation of Interpreters)..
Must be able to interpret/translate with at least 70% accuracy in both the expressive and the receptive domains
Knowledge of deaf culture and ability to interact with the deaf community
One year of interpreting preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Interpret classroom, administrative, and social interaction as appropriate for students and staff.
2. Provide voice to sign (expressive) and sign to voice (receptive) interpreting which may include a form of American Sign Language (ASL), Signing Exact English (SEE) and/or oral interpreting.
3. Adapt the RID's Code of Ethics for a college setting.
4. Prepare and utilize sign vocabulary specific to each class.
5. Use the appropriate sign system for each student.
6. Continuously model correct interpreter/student roles.
7. Provide tutorial assistance to the deaf/hard-of-hearing students only when directed by the Director, Counseling, Accessibilty, and Psychological Services.
8. Establish effective working relationships with coworkers and administrative staff; demonstrate and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stressful situations. Repetitive hand motions due to signing. Limited travel between campuses. Extended period of sitting and/or standing.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.