The Department of Learning Health Sciences (DLHS), and its Division of Learning and Knowledge Systems, is working to solve some interesting and challenging problems related to systematic medical knowledge organization and very rapid, “just-in-time” delivery and application of medical knowledge wherever it is needed. We are building an open source, sociotechnical infrastructure platform called the Knowledge Grid, a multi-part software eco-system to support communities needing to manage and deploy large quantities of computer-processable computable health knowledge. (Find out more about us at lhs.medicine.umich.e...ng-knowledge-systems.)
The work of the Applications Programmer/Analyst Senior is highly collaborative—we use modern, agile software engineering approaches to develop high-quality, maintainable code. We maintain a sustainable pace, deliver value continuously, and reflect regularly on our work. We design and develop using a variety of languages, and deploy our services and applications to multiple environments.
We are looking for developers with a range of skills in development, operations, and open source community building. We are especially looking for developers who have collaborated or taken the lead on designing and developing substantial, complex components, from vision through to production, with bonus points point for open source project committers.
App Programmer Analyst Intermediate Required Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Related Area with equivalent experience
- 7 or more years systems applications programming experience in a fast-paced business environment
- Knowledge of web application development, software design, and usability principles
- Ability to write and test code independently, to integrate code with that of others, and to rapidly create working methods or procedures for multiple technology platforms
- Demonstrated ability to gather functional requirements from a diverse, interdisciplinary group consisting of administrators, scientists, clinicians, students, and technologists
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Proven ability to work independently and to meet deadlines
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Dedication to learning as a means of practice improvement
App Programmer Analyst Associate Required Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in computer science or in a related area with equivalent experience
- 3-5 years systems anaysis/programming activities in a business environment
- Ability to analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions, free from immediate direction
- Experience with Linked Data Platforms and RDF
- Experience developing and improving digital Libraries
- Experience developing and improving Health IT applications
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.