Provide professional nursing leadership and administrative direction for nursing practice. The ideal candidate will be firm yet personable, a strong leader with the ability to set high standards and hold people accountable. They will have process improvement background and demonstrated ability as a change agent
Coordinate and optimize patient flow across the OR/PACU of University Hospital to promote quality, safe patient care with appropriate nursing staff. Serve as liaison for clinical and operational issues surrounding patient placement in partnership with medical and nursing staff. Provide direct supervision to nursing and ancillary staff members assigned.
- Schedule and assign clinical staff, arrange coverage as needed
- Supervise, mentor, counsel and evaluate staff as part of a continuous development program within the Professional Framework
- Support staff education, cross training and proficiency development
- Develop and foster team work and build trusting relationships
- Facilitate and support a nursing practice environment in which empowerment, responsibility, autonomy, accountability, collaboration and peer review are exercised
- Plan, coordinate and evaluate quality assurance activities
- Participate in the development of patient care models and systems
- Coordinate communication hand-off to Midnight shift Charge Nurse
- Participate in coordination of unit operations including instrument processing, equipment evaluation, specialty implants, and specific surgeon requests
- Plan and monitor expenditures from payroll and commodity budgets
- Assess patient volumes and workload intensity in all areas for coordination and appropriate patient placement.
- Partner with Anesthesia and PM Charge RN to identify and problem solve patient placement barriers to expedite Operating Room availability.
- Provide ongoing monitoring of the trauma call system and remain readily available to receive Level 1 and 2 trauma patients.
- Board all add-on/trauma/urgent cases
- Round in the unit to ensure clinical operations are unified
- Educate and provide feedback to nursing and medical staff in the OR/PACU department to improve patient placement and room management.
- Support the education mission by precepting nursing students as appropriate.
- Manage Evening shift patient safety concerns and reports, debrief forms, evaluation of staff through performance evaluations, and work with staff schedule to make call and daily schedule changes
- Assist Perioperative Tech Supervisor in management of Evening Shift Perioperative Tech staff
Nursing Specific Info
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Applicant must meet one of the following:
* Bachelors of Science in Nursing OR
* Associates degree or diploma in Nursing and a Master's degree in Nursing.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to perform as role model to nursing staff
- Current State of Michigan RN license required
- Excellent customer service, communication, team building, and problem solving skills. Ability to work with multiple disciplines.
- Five (5) or more years of OR experience is necessary (within 3 years)
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position
- Masters of Science in Nursing
- Advanced computer skills desired, including proficiency in OpTime, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and educational research systems.
- Demonstrated experience in direct work flow with peers.
- Supervisory/management experience with responsibilities for staff development
- CNOR certification
Hours: 40 hours/week
Shift: Evening Shft; hours will flex to department need
Location: University Hospital Operating Room
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.